Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:07 AM   #21

You'll love it.

Here's the latest from this evening's game down in Waco between the Baylor Bears women's basketball team and Kansas State...

and on campus earlier in the day..

Once I walked over the bridge and saw the brick sidewalk, I couldn't help myself..

You wouldn't believe how close I was to the two tall evergreens in this image. In the original file, they are quite bowed, but after Fisheye Hemi..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:09 AM   #22

Great shots. You guys are doing your best to get me to order the Rokinon lens. I just put that ahead of the Oly 150-300 lens. Much cheaper as well and I believe I would use the Rokinon much more than I would the long telly.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:23 PM   #23

Another great set of pictures, Greg. What aperture do you use most with this lens and how do you set the focus so that everything is on focus?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:16 AM   #24

Basketball image was f4. The outdoor images, f8.

Focus was never moved off infinity. The only time I have ever really focused on something, was when I was really close to the statue of the longhorn. Otherwise, focus has always been left on infinity.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:42 AM   #25

....well, my post to here was lost when I tapped 'WRONGLY'. It was an iPAD thing and late last night, so.

Anyway, it was to compliment Greg and the Rokinon and to say that for the most part; Greg your presentations of the files via the Fisheye Hemi software have shown me a new perspective regarding FE images.

I just do not enjoy looking at the 'tunnel-vision' distortion of FE files as they are generally shown. For me 99.9999% of images shown which are made with any Fisheye lens are not acceptable to my brain, BUT yours via the Hemi software are altogether different, I enjoy seeing them and the amount of data captured is remarkably changing my mindset.

Actually, I am becoming intrigued enough the wonder how the Rokinon FE lens might fit my city parks project which will take at least this and one more summer to finish (explore all 80+ Arlington city parks).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I just do not enjoy looking at the 'tunnel-vision' distortion of FE files as they are generally shown. For me 99.9999% of images shown which are made with any Fisheye lens are not acceptable to my brain, BUT yours via the Hemi software are altogether different, I enjoy seeing them and the amount of data captured is remarkably changing my mindset.
Ditto, reason why I pulled the trigger on one. I never really cared for the great amount of distortion that fisheye lenses produce. So far, most S/W programs I know of that correct fisheye distortion does a somewhat poor job by "fixing" the distortion through heavy cropping. Hemi appears to be different, making fisheye images very appealing. I can't wait to have a go at it!

Tullio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:13 AM   #27

Hi, Bob. If you want to just give it a try, I could always meet you one Saturday morning at one of the parks if you have a particular subject you'd like to try with your E-P3.

The angle of coverage is pretty incredible, and Fisheye Hemi corrects enough to give you the superwide look with little to no loss in coverage. It does a great job with both straight lines and people, which isn't a suprise knowing the authors created the program primarily for people shooting at events so they could include a lot of the surrounding environment in the image.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:04 PM   #28

Gotta love Amazon...I ordered this lens on Fri and it arrived today! Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but my very first surprise was its very small size and light weight. I took 2-3 snapshots and from looking at the images through the EVF, they look pretty good. Leveling the camera is much easier than thought it would be. As I move the camera up/down, I can clearly see the amount of distortion on the image. I can tell that all I need to do is keep the portion of the image I wish to have the least amount of distortion in the very middle. I'm going to have fun with it!

Tullio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:33 PM   #29

The fun's just starting!

One from this evening as I was on my way home, with no corrections made..

Compare that coverage to the one below, captured with the 12mm f2..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:30 PM   #30

I like it!

Tullio