Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:20 PM   #1

Default ....and my latest small bag accessory

For a long long while I've wanted a 'Gorilla Pod' but just have not had the inspiration to get one. Now, the E-P3 and Think Tank Retro 5 bag has pushed me to it.

Finding the right buy for me is best done with the iPAD and eBay app. One evening I decided on this http://tinyurl.com/7qxe5xw

I decided on this one even though the shipping charge was equal to the selling price, but it handles 3KG (6 1/2 lbs) and included a simple ball head while the total cost was 1/3 the cost of the JOBY counterpart legs only.

The POD and cabled shutter release is going to work well for me this summer with the P3/70-300 combo.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:07 PM   #2

Great accessory for that loop. Saturday I went over to Arlington Camera and picked up a Lowe Pro lens case for the 75-300 Micro and attached it to that same loop on my Retro 5 bag. The case fits the Reto 5's height perfectly and the lens fits in it like the case was made for it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:59 AM   #3

I got a Joby Gorilla pod for Christmas a couple of years ago and I believe I only used it twice for taking pictures of a product on the table for a review. I probably only used it twice because at the time, I had the Canon 40D DSLR and the pod was a little too weak/flimsy for that camera. Should be a good matchup for the PL2 though. Seems like a lot of money for that bag. Amazon has it listed at 137.95.

Last edited by James Emory; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4

I believe that's about what I paid, plus sales tax, buying mine locally at Arlington Camera.

Bags are so wildly priced in all sizes. You can definitely buy something of a similar size for less. I finally stopped buying bags over the internet because they can look so good online, but when you finally have them in-hand it turns out to not be a good bag as far as being comfortable to carry, hold what you need it to hold, etc, etc.

Think Tank is not carried a lot of places. B&H does not carry them. I was shocked when I went into Arlington Camera and saw them. I actually thought in looking at the website one of their larger bags would be a better choice, but the Retrospective 5 is a very comfortable bag to use with this camera system. The strap is the best, most comfortable design I have ever tried. It just works for me better than anything I have owned or tried in a store. For me, it was money well spent.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...I finally stopped buying bags over the internet because they can look so good online, but when you finally have them in-hand it turns out to not be a good bag as far as being comfortable to carry, hold what you need it to hold, etc, etc.
I could not agree more! Nothing like taking your camera with you and try it on to see which bag works best!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:18 PM   #6

I guess you get what you pay for as the old saying goes. I think that's a darn good idea taking your camera and have it fitted so to speak. We no longer have camera stores around here anymore, Best Buy and Walmart along with the internet drove them out of business.

Last edited by James Emory; Jan 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:37 PM   #7

....I bought my TT Retro 5 at Arlington Camera when I bought the P3 outfit. The bag was $129. Arlington Camera has the best selection of bags in the DFW area. I am still thinking about replacing my 20+ years bag I use for the E-3 getup with a Think Tank Retro 10. Actually I had the 10 at the counter then changed my mind, now I wish I had the 10, it is a better suit for my lenses since I have but one m43 lens.

However in the Retro 5 my FT 70-300 fits perfectly standing up, the FT 40-150 & m43 14-42 in the other end slot with the camera in the front pocket. I still have the center slot open for snacks or maybe a Rokinon FE that Greg has me thinking about.

There are a couple Tenba messenger type bags that are nice sized for a m43 system too. I think by the end of this year we will see all the bag makers presenting new bag systems for the new mirrorless downsized camera/lens sets coming out now.

James, here is the web URL for our local store where Greg and I spend our money, http://tinyurl.com/87jwe8s family owned in Arlington for 30-years, it is a good one. I bought my E-3 and E-P3 there and a bunch of other things including a Minolta SLR 28-years ago for my daughter when she was in high school which she also used in college, she majored in journalism communications and english. Today she is a school teacher and uses a NIKON dSLR D90 she bought at Arlington Camera.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the link Bob. It appears they are competively priced with B&H on most items. I may have to give them a try next time I get an itchy wallet.