Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:03 PM   #11

Yes, I did a lot of that very type shooting (long distance architecture) with my 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko the first trip and with the 35-420mm f2.8-3.7 built-in lens in the Panasonic FZ50 digicam the second trip.

I also used them both quite a bit indoors because both were fast enough to allow it. I used the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 a lot at 50mm and f2.8 and there will be a lot of "stuff" more than reachable with the 45mm f1.8 where I could crop to bring it in closer, and the f1.8 speed means if I see something inside a cathedral, chateau or museum I want to shoot, I'll be able to, and probably at a shutter speed that's pretty easy to hold steady. Something I could not do with the 75-300 f4.8-6.7.

With the Panasonic FZ50 back in 2007 I had the added crutch of not being able to go above ISO 200 because the IQ was so crappy beyond that, even if you shot RAW. The brilliant Mega OIS in the FZ50 allowed me to shoot at really low shutter speeds, like the 1/13 second at f3.2 (wide open) it took to capture paintings like this at the Louvre, where I spent virtually the entire day at or below 1/20 second..

With either the 12mm f2 or 45mm f1.8, the exposure would be 1/25 at f2 at the same ISO 200, or I could bump it up to 1/50 at f2 raising the ISO to 400.

That particular image was shot with the FZ50 zoomed to an equivalent focal length of 84mm, virtually perfect for the 45mm f1.8 Zuiko.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:09 PM   #12

I envy you having such an understanding "sidekick". She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed only allows me a few moments when I see a potential shot. Sorting through the bag changing lenses is only marginally tolerated, let alone waiting for the light to fall just right...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:17 PM   #13

Cropping is always an option, especially when shooting with a good lens. However, the main issue is usually the exposure. If you shoot with the 45mm, the area used by the camera to calculate the proper exposure is much larger than it would be if you zoom'ed in (even if you use spot metering, there's still a huge difference). That can be crucial in terms of the camera gathering enough detail, particularly if the main subject is not fully exposed to light.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:37 PM   #14

Any cropping would be very minimal. I wouldn't be shooting something like the Mona Lisa from 30 feet away and then crop it down to just the painting....that would be one tiny area in the frame
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote