Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:25 PM   #1

Default When it comes to using Primes, three's company....

But four or more is a crowd.

The last time I took a prime lens combination on a trip anywhere was back in 2003 when I went to Vancouver and carry a Nikon F2AS with 24, 35 and 85mm Nikkors. Ever since I have been using my digital setups, always with zoom combinations, usually three, a superwide, wide to normal and tele.

Since moving to this micro system and deciding I really prefer the primes, I've been playing with all sorts of combinations. This past weekend when I was down in Waco, I took 3 hours to walk the campus at Baylor University while a friend was in a foundation meeting. I had my Think Tank bag with four primes, the 12 and 45 Zuikos, 20mm Panasonic and 7.5 Rokinon, in the bag, and the 75-300 in a lens bag attached to the Think Tank bag.

Five lenses in all.....two too many after 3 hours-worth of trekking around the campus. Well, depending on the type shooting one is doing. If I were with the photo club and on a photo-centric trip, everything I think I might need would go.

The trip to Paris in May is, well, not quite that type trip. Photography is always a huge part of any trip I do, and my sidekick (who would kick me if she read me calling her that), Katherine, knows this. But after shuffling around between all those options this past weekend I can now safely say my "travel with Katherine" micro outfit will consist of three lenses, the 7.5mm Rokinon, the 12mm f2 Zuiko, and the 45mm f1.8 Zuiko. If I can't shoot it with those lenses, it ain't gettin' shot. I often had the 20 on, figuring it'd get the most use, but I rarely did use it, electing to use the more dynamic 12 or 45 lenses instead.

12mm f2..

45mm f1.8..

When there's a Heisman in the house, you break out the camera..

Another 7.5mm Rokinon shot after a trip through Fisheye Hemi. A few wavy lines remain, but I really like the image overall, and the coverage was huge..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:31 AM   #2

Nice serie!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3

All three are excellent lenses and I can easily see why the 20mm lost its place in your bag. Despite its popularity, I never really liked the 20mm that much. I'm much happier with the 14mm and the Leica 25mm f1.4. I really like the colors produced by the Rokinon. The only problem that I foresee is that with the Rokinon being a fisheye lens, it's clearly not for every shooting condition so I'll have to swap lenses quite often. I'm thinking that perhaps I'll keep the Rokinon on the EPL1, which has a much slower AF system than the G3 and use the G3 for most captures that won't require a super WA lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4

Very sensible solution. Unless you are REALLY up close on a subject, you can pretty much just set the Rokinon fisheye to infinity and leave it there. I always check it as moving it on and off the body, settings can change. I have often forgotten to change the exposure mode from Program to Aperture Priority, but it does not seem to matter. Works equally well so long as you've set the aperture you want on the lens.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:47 AM   #5

Stunning shots Greg. Did you use a tripod? Also, is that a boogie man in the last photo, lower right.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Yep, that's the boogie man alright...

Didn't take a tripod with me. Don't usually have it unless I'm on one of those photo club trips and have lots of people around me using them too. Tripods have a way of singling one out. Chances are, it would have been fine, but you never know when or where security will start hassling you. I do use my tripod when alone if I'm out in open areas shooting, like wildflowers in the Spring and other wide open spaces where it's never an issue. That's another reason for liking the faster primes even more. Keeps the shutter speeds up.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7

A terrific set of photos. Love them!

I would not rule out the 20mm (40mm Equiv.) for Paris. The normal lens (50mm) worked well for Henri Cartier-Bresson.
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yep, that's the boogie man alright...

Didn't take a tripod with me. Don't usually have it unless I'm on one of those photo club trips and have lots of people around me using them too. Tripods have a way of singling one out. Chances are, it would have been fine, but you never know when or where security will start hassling you. I do use my tripod when alone if I'm out in open areas shooting, like wildflowers in the Spring and other wide open spaces where it's never an issue. That's another reason for liking the faster primes even more. Keeps the shutter speeds up.
I asked about the tripod because the pics look incredibly sharp/detailed. That definitely will be my next lens. I live near a river that runs through town and I can see some nice pictures of the city with the waterfront/river in the foreground.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
A terrific set of photos. Love them!

I would not rule out the 20mm (40mm Equiv.) for Paris. The normal lens (50mm) worked well for Henri Cartier-Bresson.
It's not so much it wouldn't be useful, I have enough images from two past trips it's easy to know looking at EXIF information it would be useful. So would my 75-300 Zuiko.

I'll also be "equipped" with my Rick Steves travel backpack that'll have anything we'll need during each day out, and be used to stow light jackets we might need in the morning, and negotiating the Metro and crowds everywhere else, not having to think about whether I need this lens or that lens is one less thing I have to deal with.

The 7.5, 12 and 45mm focal lengths don't make for much thought process. It'll be pretty obvious which one I need, depending on the subject and how I want to record it. I already have a bunch of ideas based on past experience regarding what I want to do at certain locations. Already done the typical stuff at the usual places one makes sure to capture while there. I'll be a little more selective this trip and do some things differently.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:25 PM   #10

I use my 45-200mm quite often and would hesitate leaving it behind, specially if I'm visiting places where I'll be photographing architecture. Nothing like a long zoom to capture far away architectural details. The only downside of taking it along is size. So, I think I would take the Rokinon for WA landscape shots, the 25mm for just about everything (including low light since it's a f1.4) and the 45-200mm for the long reach.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote