Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:35 PM   #11

G'day James

To return to the original thread ...
It is my belief - said so many times here & elsewhere- that ALL current dSLR camera brands will go 'mirrorless' over the next couple of years. The traditional mirror box will be replaced by electronics via the EVF

Maybe we need to think about 2 'new' terms, 1 to label "Legacy" camera bodies with the horse-&-buggy technology of the 1950s & 60s ie- the mirror box, and the other term for the 'new' & ongoing body type that will become the normal everyday body style? > after all, the mirror will soon fade away just as film has done, and as quickly as digital has taken over from film

To pinch some from the motor car game - what about "old clunker" vs "whiz-bang"

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:26 PM   #12

I agree with you Phil. When that happens I look for the DSLR bodies to be slightly smaller without the mirror mechanism.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Aren't plain old point and shoot cameras considered mirrorless. I'm thinking the shutter must be open on those as well in order to view the screen. Just curious.
I'm not quite sure why anyone started using this word. When SLR cameras started replacing rangefinders "mirrorless" in the 1950's no one used the term "mirrored" for the SLR's....

Sure, anything you can use that is not using a mirror box and flipping mirror is "mirrorless", whether it's a digicam, a micro four-thirds lens, or a 50 year-old rangefinder camera, but in my opinion "mirrorless" is stupid, stupid term that can't go away fast enough.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:22 AM   #14

I agree. All non SLR cameras are mirrorless and was the basis for this thread.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #15

Removing the mirror not only means smaller bodies but lens incompatibility as well. The Sony Ann series can be considered transitional in that respect with its translucent mirror technology. The lens compatibility exists because the mirror is still there.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:17 PM   #16

Mmm, how about CILC (compact interchangeable lens camera).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Mmm, how about CILC (compact interchangeable lens camera).
You mean as opposed to mirrorless? The Ann cameras are small (about the size of the Pana G1) but not as compact as the NEX, GFx or the Pen's.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:13 PM   #18

Quote:
.... Isn't Ayers Rock that huge red rock that sits in the middle of nowhere?
Yes mate - the world's largest hunk of rock that sticks up & out of the ground > 7 miles to walk around its base x 1000 feet to its summit

Regards, Phil
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:24 PM   #19

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'm not quite sure why anyone started using this word. When SLR cameras started replacing rangefinders "mirrorless" in the 1950's no one used the term "mirrored" for the SLR's....
To me the only purpose of using the term 'mirrorless' is in comparison to whatever camera 'has a mirror' ie- the traditional SLR. The fact that other cameras don't have one because they don't need a mirror is irrelevent.

P&S cameras of whatever size & shape remain P&S cameras, but for me it's whether the SLR has / has not a mirror mechanism thus making it more compact, lighter etc etc and all that stuff > leading me to my oft-stated belief that ALL traditional SLRs on the market today will become mirrorless with EVF but still be [nearly] 100% equivalent to their current designs, using current lenses and all that stuff, and it will happen within 5 years, possibly sooner even

Regards, Phil
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
You mean as opposed to mirrorless? The Ann cameras are small (about the size of the Pana G1) but not as compact as the NEX, GFx or the Pen's.
No, just a better name for M43 cameras.