Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:49 PM   #11

The correction should be similar to the image below. You can see the plate on the ground still has some bend to it, because it was, literally, at my feet when I shot this image. The two skinny, high everygreens had a wild bend to them that Fisheye Hemi completely corrected. I'm assuming the hedges above will be simiarly geometrically corrected and all lines will be rendered completely straight. I'll post it tonight.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:15 PM   #12

Nice shot, Greg. There is just so much you can capture w/o having hardly any distortion at all. Once the image goes beyond a certain middle area of the frame (up or down if the camera is positioned horizontally), distortion will be visible. If the front pool area of the fountain was not enclosed by the two concrete strips, the distortion would probably be almost non-existent.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....and I am assuming the 'fix' will simply tighten to the center which will flatten the lower part of the image. Now to see the finished result and how it fits my thought.

Well, here you go. The program has three options. Fisheye Hemi 1 for circular images, Hemi 2 for full frame, 180 degree fisheyes, and Hemi 3 for cropped fisheye lenses. Hemi 2 is the one to use with this lens, and I do.

Original..

And after Fisheye Hemi..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:10 PM   #14

It looks like Hemi added some distortion to the original picture in this case. I prefer the original.

Tullio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:26 PM   #15

The sides of the closest pool do look "pinched in", don't they.

There's no ability to adjust the settings within Fisheye Hemi, and the Fade slider in Photoshop does not work to make an incremental adjustment. You're left with a ghost image if you try using Fade, so it's all or nothing. Makes me feel good I initially chose the image as-shot.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:15 PM   #16

I agree that the original is the better & flatter of the two. That is an interesting exercise.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #17

I think being too close was the reason for that closest pool not been as well corrected. Had I stepped back even one step to where the entire edge was visible, the correction would have been much more accurate. Fisheye Hemi is not a full de-fish program. Having to leave some of the effect is how they achieve what they do in leaving as much of the angle of view in-tact. To me, the further areas do look better in the corrected file. I was too on-top of that closest area.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:43 PM   #18

Default A Different type of Distortion..

Nothing special here in terms of subject matter, but here's a good example of what happens when you point the camera down with a "normal" lens. I shot this looking back towards where I was with the 7.5 Rokinon, meaning it was against the light, and pointing the camera down with the 12mm f2, I wound up slanting everything..

I used the lens correction tool and eyeballed the correction, using the crop tool to verify how straight the lines were and doing the necessary crop you have to do when correcting this type distortion. Lost a lot of coverage having to do this..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19

Exposure seems to be the biggest difference between the two shots.

Tullio