Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Great Evening Sky..

I could tell about 3pm there was going to be a nice sunset sky, so I headed to my favorite overlook and waited to shoot these two "identical" shots, except for the focal lengths, recorded with the E-P3 and..

the 7.5mm Rokinon..

and the 12mm f2 Zuiko, with the hint of a "sun dog" over the downtown skyline..

Unfortunately, the thicker clouds later obscured most of the dropping light and most of the rest of the sky cleared by the time the sun fell below the horizon, but it was beautiful being out there.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:52 AM   #2

......I stopped by Lake Arlington a two-days ago, it has risen 6-7 ft and is at normal but the water will be stained for some time. In a couple weeks when it is clear I want to go one evening to make some sunset images... for the first time ever. I've done sunrises but never have even attempted sunset.

These, the first would have been interesting to me with the curvature inverted... so does that mean you raise the FE lens view above the horizon.

The question stands as to the lens angle, but looking at your image again and I see that invert curvature would not work well at all.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:04 AM   #3

To invert the curvature, there would be more ground and less sky coverage, which would defeat the purpose of the shot. However, since the very top of the image does not show any particularly interesting cloud formation, I'd have sacrificed part of the sky in favor of a more straight horizon by moving the camera down a bit. To my eyes, the angle of the curvature is a bit to dramatic.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
To invert the curvature, there would be more ground and less sky coverage, which would defeat the purpose of the shot
........I see that invert curvature would not work well at all, little by little I am understanding more.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5

Not sure the shots do anything for me
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
......I stopped by Lake Arlington a two-days ago, it has risen 6-7 ft and is at normal but the water will be stained for some time. In a couple weeks when it is clear I want to go one evening to make some sunset images... for the first time ever. I've done sunrises but never have even attempted sunset.

These, the first would have been interesting to me with the curvature inverted... so does that mean you raise the FE lens view above the horizon.

The question stands as to the lens angle, but looking at your image again and I see that invert curvature would not work well at all.
Hi, Bob. Just saw your response. I was at the Stock Show and Rodeo today (no camera!) and just logged in.

I tilted the camera up on the fisheye shot, and not much up at all, for a couple of reasons. The foreground was quite boring, nothing really would have been added keeping the camera level. Half a fisheye image consisting of a landscape too dim to make much out of would have been wasting a huge chunk of the frame, and I wanted to include as much of the clouds and sky as possible. It looked like a bunch of whispy fingers reaching out across the sky and I liked the effect.

Tilting the camera down would have created a hump in the horizon instead of the dip in the above image. The difference between what you see in the first image and a perfectly level camera/lens and landscape is very, very slight. Moving the set the smallest amount can really affect how level or curved the image is.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:02 AM   #7

Tilting the camera down would have created a hump in the horizon instead of the dip in the above image

Yeah, that is what I realized after saying what I did, see, I am learning from you and Tullio. B4 Rokinon I would not have thought that..... or cared. lol!

Great weather for the stock show, only the couple days of rain but no cold weather.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Not sure the shots do anything for me
From an image appreciation point of view, they don't do much for me either. But they do from a somewhat technical aspect. I recently bought the Rokinon fisheye lens (without being a super fan of fisheye effect at all), inspired by Greg's posts with this lens. I like WA lenses because I shoot landscape quite a bit. It's interesting to see how a 12mm lens can produce an image that is so much tighter than the fisheye. It's also interesting to see how the fisheye can distort an image and whether the effect is a pleasant one or not.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:07 PM   #9

I've had the same past experiences, buying fisheyes and then they stay in the bag after capturing the best 10-15 local area shots that benefit from them because they just lose their appeal after a very short while. With this lens, I just don't see that happening.

Here's another file from earlier in the day where I did keep everything level. The bowed cement border on this fountain is bowed because I was leaning against the center portion as I shot. Had to make sure and keep everything held in or part of me might have been in the image. In this case I like the effect. Everywhere else, excess distortion is fairly well controlled. After thinking about it, I elected to not apply Fisheye Hemi. I might go back and play with it this evening as it would better correct the hedges.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:18 PM   #10

....and I am assuming the 'fix' will simply tighten to the center which will flatten the lower part of the image. Now to see the finished result and how it fits my thought.

It is so darn nice today I should go out before the wind gets the 30+ mph prediction for today.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com