Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Getting "Blocked Threat" On This Site Today

Anyone else getting a blocked threat on this site today? I've been getting this quite often today. Do not get it on any other sites.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Our apologies.

This issue should now be corrected, and we're looking into what caused it (a link to javascript was causing the alerts from some AV software)

Out of curiosity, what Antivirus software are you running, and is it a free or premium (for cost) version?

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3

I'm using AVG, but not free software. Works very well.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Thanks. It looks like Avira Antivir Premium and AVG Antivirus flagged the problem via their real time web page analysis features.

But, the problem was ignored by F-Prot under Linux, Eset NOD32 under Linux, AVG Free under Win 7, Avira Antivir Free under Win 7, and Microsoft Security Essentials in Win 7.

I have a Win 7 partition I booted into on my desktop that I have Avira Antivir Premium installed in (which performs real time web page analysis), and it blocked access with a warning. When I updated a Win 7 install on a netbook I use from the free version of AVG to a trial version of AVG Antivirus (trial of paid version), it also blocked access with a warning about the same javascript.

So, it looks like AVG is using the same protection model as Avira, where you have to move up to the paid versus free versions if you want real time web page analysis.

But, at least the paid versions of AVG and Avira find the problem, when some of the other products do not (missed by Microsoft Security Essentials, F-Prot, Eset NOD32, free version of AVG and Avira).

It would be nice to see the free versions of AVG and Avira doing the same thing as their paid versions (real time analysis of web pages for potential threats). But, I guess you can't get everything for free. ;-)

In any event, we've fixed the issue so that you should not longer see any alerts.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:38 PM   #5

Hmm, I spent the better part of the last 5 hours cleaning up a trojan infection. I was attributing it to another tab I had open at the time, but maybe this was it? Dunno.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Thanks. It looks like Avira Antivir Premium and AVG Antivirus flagged the problem via their real time web page analysis features.

But, the problem was ignored by F-Prot under Linux, Eset NOD32 under Linux, AVG Free under Win 7, Avira Antivir Free under Win 7, and Microsoft Security Essentials in Win 7.

I have a Win 7 partition I booted into on my desktop that I have Avira Antivir Premium installed in (which performs real time web page analysis), and it blocked access with a warning. When I updated a Win 7 install on a netbook I use from the free version of AVG to a trial version of AVG Antivirus (trial of paid version), it also blocked access with a warning about the same javascript.

So, it looks like AVG is using the same protection model as Avira, where you have to move up to the paid versus free versions if you want real time web page analysis.

But, at least the paid versions of AVG and Avira find the problem, when some of the other products do not (missed by Microsoft Security Essentials, F-Prot, Eset NOD32, free version of AVG and Avira).

It would be nice to see the free versions of AVG and Avira doing the same thing as their paid versions (real time analysis of web pages for potential threats). But, I guess you can't get everything for free. ;-)

In any event, we've fixed the issue so that you should not longer see any alerts.
Thanks, and it also sounds like you're no stranger to computers...a Geek. One other minor problem I have with this site is that very often I have to click a thread or the reply button twice before it comes up. I have the latest IE9 browser so I'm thinking that it's not a browser problem.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
..... One other minor problem I have with this site is that very often I have to click a thread or the reply button twice before it comes up. I have the latest IE9 browser so I'm thinking that it's not a browser problem.
Hi: usually that kind of problem is a internet provider problem, not a browser problem, so it most likely originated with your internet provider. Sometimes it can be a website problem due to heavy traffic on the site.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:48 PM   #8

This problem just started happening about a week ago. I have to double click on threads, and the reply button if I reply to a thread. Do not have to double click on "save" if I edit my post. Weird huh.