Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11

shoturtle - I hear ya, but when the choice is among these and you only have $200 left to spend...

the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for around $300
or
the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17 mm F/2.8 for around $150
or
the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 for around $180

the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is imho the best choice
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:37 PM   #12

The 14 mm Panny works fine on the E-PL2. You will just wind up with some finging along the highlights that you have to remove yourself since the camera does not do it automatically, and in some cases you probably won't be able to get it all.

I took an E-PL2 and 14/2.5 Panny to a flight museum here in Dallas a few months ago and was pretty impressed with it. Still have it, but I just like using the 12mm f2 Olympus too much to pull it out very often. The lens size is miniscule. Here's a few images I captured with that combination..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:06 PM   #13

Greg, those shots are incredibly sharp. How much PP did you have to do to achieve this?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:29 PM   #14

Used Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop CS5 to process them all. I have presets for all my bodies that apply sharpening and noise filtering based on the ISO used. Once set up, it's a one-click process to apply it all. If I like the results, fine. Otherwise, I usually I do tweek something within ACR, be it clarity or the levels, etc, etc, if there's something I think I can improve.

If you use Photoshop, Lightroom or Elements versions recent enough to process E-PL2 files I can give you the values I use for the E-PL2.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Used Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop CS5 to process them all. I have presets for all my bodies that apply sharpening and noise filtering based on the ISO used. Once set up, it's a one-click process to apply it all. If I like the results, fine. Otherwise, I usually I do tweek something within ACR, be it clarity or the levels, etc, etc, if there's something I think I can improve.

If you use Photoshop, Lightroom or Elements versions recent enough to process E-PL2 files I can give you the values I use for the E-PL2.
I recently bought Elements 10 and I didn't know about presets. There is a lot of things I don't know about Elements 10. I would appreciate you giving me the values you use and maybe a link on how to do a preset.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:22 PM   #16

It has been forever since I used Elements, so I have no idea how close these windows look compared to what you see, but I believe Adobe Camera RAW looks pretty much the same whether it's Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom.

When you open a file in ACR this is the screen you see..

The icons I circled above in red are the various processing windows you click on to make adjustments. The only three where I have personal settings set are the BASIC, DETAIL and LENS CORRECTIONS windows. All the others, I just leave set to the default settings, and here are the settings I use as a starting point for each ISO, from 200-1600. If I have a file where an intermediate ISO setting was used, like 250, I just determine whether I want to use the ISO 200 or 400 preset. There's no reason to set up a preset for every one-third stop ISO setting.

All you have to do to set up a preset is, open a file shot at ISO 200 and change the settings noted above. This next winsow is how you save the pre-set..

Click on the spot I highlighted in red, and choose the SAVE SETTINGS. A box will open showing which settings will be saved in the preset. Click OK and the next window will give you the option of saving the setting with a name. I just use something like "E-PL2 ISO 200" and hit OK.

You should now be able to open a file in ACR now and click on the "presets" window and see the preset you just saved. Repeat the above to set subsequent settings for the other ISO values.

To apply a preset, open an image file in ACR file, open the presets window and click on the file name you want to apply.

The settings above are simply starting points. I often tweek the clarity, vibrance and saturation sliders and use several others as noted in the "notes" section shown above, depending on what I am trying to do.

I also often mess around in the tone curve window as another way of adding to or subtracting contrast.

There's way too much additional "stuff" to try and list here. The above just starts scratching the surface of what is available in ACR. If you have any specific questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer.....if I think I know the answer!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:32 AM   #17

Thanks Greg. I'll play around/look for it later today when I have some time.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:07 PM   #18

Hi Greg,

I don't see anything on my edit screen like you show.

PS Elements 10 Screen by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Feb 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:55 PM   #19

I see what you have opened there is a JPEG, and that is the regular Elements window, not Adobe Camera RAW. You need to open a raw (.orf) file to get access to Adobe Camera RAW.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:36 AM   #20

Greg,

That's weird, the file I opened has a CR2 designation, a Canon RAW file. I'll try another. Thanks Greg