Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:35 AM   #21

Mmm, for some reason, even though that file is listed as a CR2, it actually was not. Took another RAW photo with the EPL2 and the screen came up although a little different than yours with some items missing. PS E10 has two screens for full editing. Also, the -26 for brightness is way too dark. The pic on the screen is as it came out of the camera. I'm still trying to find out how to save these settings as a "custom". I'll have to keep looking/reading. The screen shots are the settings I have to work with. ARRRRHHH, why does learning this have to be so difficult. Maybe it's time to buy a good book on PE 10 instead of searching and hunting for info.

ACR by James Gasta, on Flickr

ACR 2 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Feb 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:05 PM   #22

There are, several windows missed in the Elements version of ACR, but the BASIC and DETAIL are good windows, and the CAMERA CALIBRATION is where you can turn on the edge fringe correction. I'm a bit surprised they do not include the tone curve adjustment window, or, above the image where the other set of tools are located, the Targeted Adjustment Tool, which is a way to raise or lower specific areas within the scene.

If the default image looks good, just go to the DETAIL window and try the sharpening and noise filter settings from my setups and see whether you like them or not, but I see there's also some sliders missing in that window too in the noise reduction set. I would just leave the color noise setting at the default 25. I've never messed with it. It's the Luminence slider where you will be doing your noise reduction.

You see the gray line in that last shot you posted where it says "Detail", just above SHARPENING? It's that little box on the right-hand end that you left-click on to open the drop down where you select SAVE SETTINGS to save a custom setting.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:34 AM   #23

Thanks Greg.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:54 PM   #24

Greg, I just noticed one thing on PE 10 is that it does not have the ability to save more than one custom edit. Only one selection available and that's "save as default". That's fine by me as I'll never have two cameras and I can change parameters involved when using higher ASAs. That brightness setting you have (-26) is much too dark in PE 10. I kind of like to adjust this to my own taste anyway. Thanks for everything......so far.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
As Greg has mentioned, the ease with which you can manually focus a lens using the VF-2 makes it a worthy expense.

While it may be costly, it will allow you to buy legacy lenses that are currently available for short money.

I've a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 lens that really shines on a m43 camera.
I've also used various OM Zuiko lenses with a good deal of success.
A brand that gets little notice these days but made wonderful glass is the Konica Hexanon series of lenses.

All would require an adapter. But, the adapters are usually $20USD

Zig
Thoughts on the Konica Minolta AR 40mm f 1.8 lens?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:44 PM   #26

Is this an AF lens, or is it a Konica manual focus 40mm f1.8? Konica and Minolta didn't merge until late in the game and were separate companies back in the days of manual focus lenses. I know of a 40mm f1.8 Konica Hexanon pancake lens, and Konica Hexanon optics are as good as they get.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:51 PM   #27

greg - I wrote Minolta but meant Hexanon ... something like this was what I was looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONICA-HEXAN...6#ht_920wt_932

edit - different listing same lens
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:40 PM   #28

Yep, that's the one I am familiar with. Add a Konica to micro adapter and you'd be set. Konica Hexanon's are pretty darn good. Here's the best site I have ever looked at regarding general information about the system and specific info on an individual lens..

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonHaupt.html

The 40/1.8..

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:14 PM   #29

Greg, thanks as always. Interesting read on the 40mm and the 50mm sounds real nice too. Forgive me if this is a stupid question... i am a little confused on the whole equivalence thing, is a 50mm legacy lens like this equivalent to a 100mm on the m43?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:44 PM   #30

Yes, the 45/1.8 M. Zuiko gives an equivalent field of view that would be similar, but slightly tighter compared to the 85mm f1.8 Hexanon. I'm not sure if Konica ever made a 90mm lens or not.