Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Default just bought an e-pl2 kit - thinking about prime lens now

so I am looking for a prime for my new e-pl2.

Initially I thought I'd get a fast film camera 50mm and an adapter to save some $$ ... figuring less than $100

but after reading up I understand that manually focusing my shots is going to be difficult without buying the $250 electronic viewfinder attachment and even then it will be difficult compared to MF on an old style slr where you had the prism aid...

so then I started thinking the 20mm panasonic f/1.7 lens maybe find one on ebay for around $200, this would be probably better in the long run for myself, a more casual user.

I know olympus has the M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 lens but it is currently about what I payed for the e-pl2.

Is there any other similar lens out there that will work with the e-pl2?
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2

would this be decent ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-M-Zu...#ht_500wt_1327
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
so I am looking for a prime for my new e-pl2.

Initially I thought I'd get a fast film camera 50mm and an adapter to save some $$ ... figuring less than $100

but after reading up I understand that manually focusing my shots is going to be difficult without buying the $250 electronic viewfinder attachment and even then it will be difficult compared to MF on an old style slr where you had the prism aid...

so then I started thinking the 20mm panasonic f/1.7 lens maybe find one on ebay for around $200, this would be probably better in the long run for myself, a more casual user.

I know olympus has the M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 lens but it is currently about what I payed for the e-pl2.

Is there any other similar lens out there that will work with the e-pl2?
Having used film SLR's from the early's 1980's until around 2003 when I purchased my first DSLR, I think you would be suprised how easy manual focusing is using the EVF. I find it easier than with any SLR I ever used. The only film cameras I have used that were as easy or easier were Leica rangefinders. For a short period I had access to both an M4 and M6. That's it.

The resolution of the VF2 is excellent, and you have the ability to zoom in while focusing if you really want to be sure. Much better than any reflex finder with all the focusing aids/split wedge rangefinder, with glimmering indicators, etc, etc.

The 20mm f1.7 Panasonic would be an excellent first choice. There are, at this point, several prime lens options from Panasonic, Olympus and some third-party makers, all of which will work on the E-PL2. Just scan the list and look for the primes..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...427+4292347245

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
It's OK. Better than some reviews suggest, but the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is better, and faster so it can be used in more varying types of light.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5

As Greg has mentioned, the ease with which you can manually focus a lens using the VF-2 makes it a worthy expense.

While it may be costly, it will allow you to buy legacy lenses that are currently available for short money.

I've a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 lens that really shines on a m43 camera.
I've also used various OM Zuiko lenses with a good deal of success.
A brand that gets little notice these days but made wonderful glass is the Konica Hexanon series of lenses.

All would require an adapter. But, the adapters are usually $20USD

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:17 PM   #6

thanks everyone for your comments, so the choice is;

vf-2 for $200-$250 + legacy lens $40-$50 + adapter $20 = $260-$320

with the ability to add additional MF lenses for short money

OR

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for around $300 or the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17 mm F/2.8 for around $150.

and I get to keep the AF and all other functionality but each new lens comes at a big cost

okay well at least my options are clear
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:41 PM   #7

Looks like a good plan.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:37 PM   #8

MF is nice to play around with, but I would go with a m4/3 AF lenses first.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9

hey shoturtle,

I decided to go with the Panasonic 14mm f 2.5 wide angle as my second lens to maintain the AF.

I would have liked the 20mm f 1.7 but the 14mm was almost half as much ($180) and in some reviews I read nearly as good for my needs and also a little wider which will come in handy on my trip to the grand canyon.

maybe later I will play with some mf or spring for the 20mm
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10

The 14mm has allot of vignetting and chromatic distortion. olympus does not correct for CA like the panny body. It was a lens the panny push the limit on, and the only way to get the iq was to do allot of correction with their body. For a panny body the 14 is a good option with the CA correction, but on a oly body, it is the only lens that does not work well with.