Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:21 PM   #1

Default first pics with new epl2

iauto setting - natural light from the windows only

my kitty - really liking the blue of her eyes - most pics don't get it right

my dog unamused... wife would kill me for sharing a pic with the rug so dirty

some shots messing with different aperture priority settings

Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2

You have some beautiful animals, and are probably now well on your way to making them as annoyed with you as mine was with me!

But that's OK. They have a pretty easy gig otherwise...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:54 AM   #3

wife would kill me for sharing a pic with the rug so dirty

Probably would, the detail shows the dog hair. LOL
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. Any input on how I can be doing things better is welcome.

I took a few pictures on my way home today as the moon was up early and still the afterglow of sunset was present. Not super happy with how these came out. Both were shot at 14mm with aperture priority on and aperture at 3.5 with the kit lens. I am guessing/hoping some of this will get better with different lens and maybe a tripod?

Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:49 AM   #5

On those last pics, try exposure bracketing, say -1 to +1. Yes, a tripod would be better with low light shots.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6

james - thanks for the tips!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:32 PM   #7

You're welcome. That will at least give you an idea where you need to be expsosurewise. You might also want to try different metering modes, play around, it's free.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:22 PM   #8

ramcewan... The first two are great shots of your animals!

As to your question about the last two pics, you should also realize that these two attempt to captuere subject matter with an extremely wide exposure range (brightest object to darkest object)... a range that will be very, very difficult for any camera to capture well.

If you expose properly for the sky (as your metering apparently did here), then the objects on the ground will be under exposed. But if you expose properly for the objects on the ground, then the sky will be over exposed. And if you expose in the middle the result may not be great, either.

There are two ways you can compensate for this. The first is the one James Emory suggested: exposure bracketing. Once you have three shots to look at, you can pick the one you like best. Or... you could combine all three in Photoshop (or another digital editor) using only the best-exposed parts of each image. But this is a separate skill entirely and you'd need lots of practice before you finally reach a skill level that delivers good results most of the time.

That's the first way (or way-and-a-half).

The second is much easier... use a graduated Neutral Density filter to tone down the brightness in the sky and bring that part of the exposure into a range that your camera can handle more easily. This, too takes skill, but IMHO not as much tinkering and finagling as the bracketing-and-combining method.

Either way, your challenge awaits! Have fun playing around with it.

----------------
Peace,
-- Bob.
BarefootPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:32 AM   #9

Welcome aboard BarefootPilgrim, nice post.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:24 PM   #10

barefoot pilgrim,

thanks for the detailed info. I kinda realized I was asking alot of the camera to capture these dusk scenes with different levels of natural illumination but wanted to try anyways.

Reading up on the manual I noticed that the camera and the Olympus software that came with it supports HDR, seemed like this might be a way to achieve the same effect as combining multiple exposure images in photo shop, would you agree?

Thanks again!