Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:19 PM   #11

thanks ramcewan, yes its a real shame that olympus couldnt have come up with a solution to enable e-pl3 to have a pop up flash or investigated completely seperate flash possibilities, extra hotshoe etc. since they clearly know about cameras and should certainly be aware that a more advanced user would require this feature to use evf and flash! but the simple fact is it doesnt.
i dont just want to use purely mf lenses anyway and plan on getting the 45mm prime, the 40-150 or panny 45-200 and most probable a 20mm pancake which should give me a good coverage i think? the whole mf side of things is purely to feed my creative side which i have now resigned to the fact will have to take place in good light, with the above lenses i think i should be more than happy during low light situations?
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:24 PM   #12

Tom, another option is to buy a flash bracket which mounts to the tripod mount on the camera. The flash can then be connected to the camera by a cord. This one is rather inexpensive and should do the job.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...h_Bracket.html
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:33 PM   #13

The fact that the EPL3 and EPM1 do not have BI flash is a big issue for me because you can't have the VF2 and external flash simultaneously. I suppose that's not a problem if you don't have/need the VF2. The EPL1 is a good camera and the reviews reflect the time when it was released. AF is slow but as Shoturtle mentioned, the AF seems to vary a lot depending on the lens. I use the Lumix 14-45mm and the AF is much faster. New models sometimes improve in some areas but regress in others.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:34 PM   #14

yes james that lens looks great! its a bit pricey but iv seen worse lenses cost more on other systems. just had a look around the web at the sample images however i always have to take these with a pinch of salt as for all i know, the shot was taken and edited by the king of photoshop and touched up to within an inch of its life? i am personally very fond of post processing as it can add a whole to persona to an image but could potentially create the aforementioned situation.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:38 PM   #15

and james would you know any way how i could connect the flash to be enable by the camera with vf2 attached as it might be a possible solution if i really, really needed both accessories on at once?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1234 View Post
yes james that lens looks great! its a bit pricey but iv seen worse lenses cost more on other systems. just had a look around the web at the sample images however i always have to take these with a pinch of salt as for all i know, the shot was taken and edited by the king of photoshop and touched up to within an inch of its life? i am personally very fond of post processing as it can add a whole to persona to an image but could potentially create the aforementioned situation.
I do agree with you on PP and I'm having my first experience with Adobe Elements 10. I can see where this is going to be a looooooooooooonnnnnng learning curve. Focusing on the basics first is where I'm at now. I try to blot all those tools from my eyes until I get comfortable with ACR editing.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:46 PM   #17

tullio that was my initial reason for allowing the e-pl1 to come into my considerations. to a point where i was just going to ditch the research and just go and buy it, alas the sleekness of the newer models has gripped me too much now and there can be no turning back!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:51 PM   #18

yes james i am much the same, i only dabble in the possibilities of PP and at the moment. i am usually happy with the results although some pictures on this site with no PP look better than my shots with an hour or two worth of work on them lol! you just cant beat raw talent i dont think
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:02 PM   #19

any thoughts on the lens line-up i posted? dont forget im coming from an fz38 bridge camera with 18x zoom which i always found more than capable, so in short i dont really know too much about changing lenses. yes i have read all possible reviews on the subject and lenses in question and they are all very good however i dont know if they all marry up to a good range?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:08 PM   #20

It will take some time to master or at least feel comfortable with it.