Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1234 View Post
plan on getting the 45mm prime, the 40-150 or panny 45-200 and most probable a 20mm pancake which should give me a good coverage i think?...
Quote:
...any thoughts on the lens line-up i posted?
I am a noob but my understanding is that the 45mm prime and 20mm pancake are redundant. In the micro4/3 world a 20mm is a prime. Otherwise I would agree with your line up. As a new owner of a e-pl2 I am also shopping for lenses. I have the kit lens and I have the 17mm f/2.5 panny on the way which will be my prime. I am now looking for a telephoto. Like you I initially gravitated to the oly 40-150 or the panny 45-200 but now I am seriously considering the oly 70-300mm 4/3 plus an adapter to keep the AF working ... they make a micro 4/3 70-300mm too but it is currently $800 whereas the combo of olympus 4/3 70-300mm plus adapter can be under $300 used.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:20 PM   #22

By the time add the cost of the 70-300 + adapter and have to deal with the slow AF, you'd be better off buying the Lumix 100-300. It's much smaller and lighter than the combo and optics are excellent. And since it has OIS, you'll be OK if in the future you decide to buy a Panasonic body. Sure you lose a bit on the WA but I think it's worth it. If you already had the 70-300 it would be a different story.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:25 PM   #23

cheers for the input ram, the idea of having the 45mm was for the f1.8 wide aperture and as far as my current knowlege understands that would be a 90mm equivalent (please correct if wrong anyone) which i gather many pro/experienced photographers like to use as a portrait lens? ideally the leica mantioned before would be amazing but sacrifices would have to made to aquire it! still being new to this game i would like to ask if there are adaptors for all makes of lenses to keep AF working or just panny oly 4/3?
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:30 PM   #24

a prime lens is a none zoom lens, so the panny 20, 14, 45 marco and the oly 45, 12, 17 are all primes.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:24 PM   #25

Quote:
cheers for the input ram, the idea of having the 45mm was for the f1.8 wide aperture and as far as my current knowlege understands that would be a 90mm equivalent (please correct if wrong anyone) which i gather many pro/experienced photographers like to use as a portrait lens? ideally the leica mantioned before would be amazing but sacrifices would have to made to aquire it! still being new to this game i would like to ask if there are adaptors for all makes of lenses to keep AF working or just panny oly 4/3?
There are adaptors made for many brands of four third lenses, but some models may not auto focus. For one, I don't believe none of the Rokinon lenses will auto focus but for image quality, the Rokinons are a bargain if you don't mind manual focusing.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:51 PM   #26

cheers james, yes i was under the impression that there are suitable adapters for most brands of lenses however i have yet to find a definitive list of what will AF and what wont. i suppose the long and short of it is to stick to the m4/3 specific lenses for the AF and as you said just learn to MF for other brands. For instance is there an AF OR MF adaptor for canon lenses, nikon lenses etc and what IQ would one expect from using these types? ive read about ghosting and flaring due to the difference in sensor size etc. but that was more aimed at the older legacy lenses not mentioning the newer EF mount lenses?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:56 PM   #27

ive just searched and found canon and nikon MF adapters so that answers that one, but still unsure about IQ.

also the canon adapters do not allow changes in aperture and you need a canon to set it! thats that idea out the window then!

Last edited by tom1234; Feb 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:17 PM   #28

As I mentioned earlier, there are adaptors available for many brands of lenses but I'm not sure which lens will do what with which camera. There are many here much more knowledgeable than I on the M43 system and hopefully they will chime in. I'm pretty sure the Oly four thirds lenses will AF and AE with the adaptor but don't bet any money on it....yet.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:54 AM   #29

In my research only the oly 4/3 format lenses and lenses made to fit that format can be adapted to m4/3 and still maintain af/ae. You will need an adapter which is 65 for third party and 80-90+ for the panasonic and even more for the olympus version. Autofocus is reportedly slower and some times hit or miss. as pointed out above on my comment about the oly 4/3 70-300mm plus adapter you might very well be better off sticking to the micro lenses. Also worth pointing out that two japanese lower cosr lens makers (tamron and tonnaka i think) announced they will be making micro4/3 lenses soon, hopefully giving some more options to us low budget folks.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:59 PM   #30

good i hope more low budget lenses hit the market as soon as possible, i hope it forces oly and panny to reduce their prices a little. a lot of dslr users carry tamron kit so thats a good sign, i do think lenses are somewhat overpriced and logically selling them cheaper would increase revenue in as more people will be able to afford them. i know they are precision instruments and many people will hopefully only need to buy a certain lens once but most are probably machine built on a mass scalefor less than half of what they cost to make.