Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:29 PM   #1

Default epl-1 vs epm-1?

hi guys,first time poster, i know youve probably heard this a thousand times before but im really stuck between which camera to choose from. i have read every related topic on this 4/3 forum and read/watched every conceivable review on the interweb and still undecided,
for the past 2 years iv been dedicated to my panasonic fz38 however the lure of interchangeable lenses has now taken its grip, the fz-38 has been agreat stepping stone to getting used to settings etc. to a point where i am now comfortable to shoot in manual most of the time, i began looking for a replacement many months ago at first geared towards an eos 550d however after intensive reading i now think a 4/3 is my preffered choice,
now for the parts im stuck on,
i really like the smaller body size (less conspicuousness) of the epm-1 over the e-pl1 as i mainly shoot photos/portraits of my little girl and and i can definitely feel a sense that she feels more uneasy when pointing a larger camera (fz38) over my backup p+s and therefore i get more natural photos with the p+s, but obviously much better quality from the fz,
i want to experiment with my new camera in ways such as using manual focus lenses to create different effects and know that an efv is essential to do this. there may come a time where i would like to use the manual focus lens with flash, the e-pl1 will allow me to do this by having the built in flash leaving the hotshoe free for evf, the e-pm1 will not, i know the simple solution to this would be to just use the mf lenses in good light but wondered if there was a way around this? is the lcd really not capable of framing mf shots or is it just more of a challenge?
also price comes into play, not so much the cost of the camera as it will be something i will keep for the foreseeable future, but more the 150 gap between the current prices local to me, so far as i can see the only advantages of the e-pm1 operation is that the AF is faster which is ideally great for the kind of photography i like doing and that perhaps the bundled kit lens is also slightly faster than that of the e-pl1(cant remember if this is true or not or where i read it in fact) and that it has 1080p video is a plus to me.
so guys, theres my predicament, at the moment im swaying towards the e-pm1 and would really benefit from some user experiences and guidance as i dont know anyone else interested in photography. thanks,
Tom
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:16 PM   #2

As to the cameras, why do you want to include the E-PL1 in your choices. This is a dated camera and auto focus on this model is slow and not too good in low light. The E-PL1 already has two sucessors, the E-PL2 and E-PL3 which perform much better than the PL1. The 14-42mm lens the PL1 comes with has also been replaced with the improved 14-42mmII version. If you want to stay small, the E-PL2 or 3 would be your best choice but that's just my opinion.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:20 PM   #3

your right james, you have basically confirmed my suspicions that the e-pl1 is now outdated. it was just based on the great reviews i had seen on here and other sites and from hearing other peoples experiences. ok, so in light of recent events which camera would be best out of the e-pl3 and e-pm1, im not too fussed about the swivel screen but are there many more advantages of the e-pl3?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:10 PM   #4

Ignore the slow comment of the epl-1 in AF, if you put a msc lens, it is as fast as the epl-2. I have tested it with a 14-150 msc lens, they are equally as fast with AF. So while the epl-1 and epl-2 are a bit older. They are still pretty good cameras. Sensor performance is about the same as the ep3 and epm1.

Now the newer pens like the ep3, epm1 and epl3 all have the newer AF, so the first shot af is faster. But to be honest action shooting are not what these cameras are meant to shoot.

Now with the epm1, you do not have the option of the onboard flash. So if you get the evf, you have to choose between a flash or the VF when shooting. With the on board flash of the epl1 you can shoot with a evf. And opt for the built in flash or off camera flash with the ttl ability with and epl-1.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:41 AM   #5

I should have stated slow AF with the 14-42 lens. Sorry 1234. As to features of the E-PL3, you can read those right at the Olympus site, or B&H Photo.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:17 PM   #6

some differences to consider;

e-pm1/e-pl3 have detachable flashes
e-pl1/e-pl2 have pop-up flashes

since you mention quick captures of your daughter having the flash ready to pop up vs. in the bag needing to be put on might make a difference.

e-pl3 has a tilt-able LCD screen, the others do not

all of them except the e-pl1 kit come with the new II MSC lens and therefore focus faster (if you buy an e-pl1 body and get the MSC lens separately you also get fast focus... depending upon what price you find you may or may not save over getting the e-pl2 with MSC lens included).

they all share the same sensor

both the e-pl3 and e-pm1 are smaller and slicker looking imo whereas the e-pl1/2 retain more of the old rangefinder style.

if money were not an object I'd probably go for the e-pl3 as the tilt-able screen is a nice feature.

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:21 PM   #7

thanks shoturtle, i thought i was talking about a completely different camera after reading james comments regarding the e-pl1 compared to online user reviews. however i do agree with him that it is now coming to the end of its shelf life hence the ridiculously cheap sale price atm, thats not to say everyone who owns one should upgrade as youve pointed out they offer almost the same great specs at an affordable price, as i pointed out this camera will hopefully last me a good while before i need to upgrade and allow me to build up a collection of lenses in the meantime. i think in all probability ill give in to my demons and will go for the e-pl3 as from what i can gather its more advanced user ready as apposed to the e-pm1 geared at a pns upgrader,
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:34 PM   #8

Also I would opt of a longer lens then any of the 14-42 out there, all 3 of the olympus and 2 of the panny would not be the best lens to capture quick photos of your daughter. They are a bit short for chasing kids around. What the 14-42 is better for are group shots, and out door scenery and posed shots. As it is pretty wide.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:00 PM   #9

If money wasn't an issue, and I wanted to photograph children, I would likely get the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH Mircro 4/3 lens. The lens is super sharp and sharp even at f/1.4. It also focuses reasonably fast and you probably wouldn't need a flash for most indoor shots if you stop down to f/1.4. It's a tad pricey at a little over 500 bucks but well worth the money based on the reviews I've read.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:06 PM   #10

Flash is something you will need to shoot children running around indoor. Even with 1.4 you will have movement blur. If you are indoor, go flash you will get much better results. And an external flash will give much better result.