Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
How does the state support itself, where is the money coming from? I wouldn't think alcohol and fuel tax alone would do it.
business tax is one source of income for NH, room and meals tax is another.

In the end they just don't spend cause the money isn't available to be spent.

At the local level property taxes are fairly high at around $20/1,000 home value per year or higher in the areas within Boston commuting distance. Schools and local services all are locally funded which leads to some problems with schools in the poorer rural Northern communities not doing so well.

In the end though the tax payer has a great deal of control over what gets spent at the local level too. If the police department wants a new station it has to be put on the town ballet for a vote. Every year we vote on warrant articles which spell out the major proposed spending for the year. There are some tricks/controls in place so that if say the school budget doesn't pass that just means they default to last year's budget plus a small % increase, but new spending has to pass a vote.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

as for the taxes.. state tax law is something I know a little about and yes generally it is a question of whether the company has a brick and mortar location in your state, ...
This is not the law and it varies from state to state. This concept is true here in CA but it will end this coming July. As of August, Amazon will be forced to charge CA sales tax. There was a huge battle last year and Amazon got a year out of the deal. I believe this will apply to all online retailers who don't have any presence in CA. All others are already charging sales tax.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
This is not the law and it varies from state to state. This concept is true here in CA but it will end this coming July. As of August, Amazon will be forced to charge CA sales tax. There was a huge battle last year and Amazon got a year out of the deal. I believe this will apply to all online retailers who don't have any presence in CA. All others are already charging sales tax.
Well let me be a little more clear... all sales tax law is state law and varies from state to state.

When you buy something from an internet retailer in another state then it becomes interstate commerce and federal law states that a state cannot levy a tax on commerce in another state. Now the whole argument goes down to where the transaction occurs, in my home where I click buy or at the retailer in another state.

In 1992 the supreme court ruled that the transaction occurs at the retailer, and therefore a state could not levy sales tax on items purchased at an online retailer who did not also have a store in the state. The argument has always been if you can buy online and return to the local store then the online purchase must have sales tax collected. Hence BestBuy and Sears will collect sales tax for purchases made by residents of states where there is a state sales tax.

The thing with Amazon you reference is more to do with what qualifies as a brick and mortar location. BestBuy and other retailers who were forced to collect sales tax have argued that Amazon's affiliates which exist in many states qualified as a brick and mortar presence and therefore Amazon should have to collect sales tax on purchases made by residents of those states that have sales tax and an Amazon affiliates. For example when you buy something from Adorama via Amazon, Adorama is an affiliate and NY has argued that that means that Amazon should collect NY sales tax.

Amazon fought and has begun working with some states (CA included) and pulled out of other states, the street has a map.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11052...-by-state.html

p.s. Don't forget that if you live in a state that has a sales tax you have always been required to pay that tax on items purchased on line, most people don't and the states have no power or resources to go after the retailer to find out what you bought. The Amazon argument is over whether Amazon has to collect the sales tax at the time of purchase for the state.

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:19 PM   #14

Very interesting stuff. So, will this apply to Amazon only? I wonder if B&H will charge CA sales tax as well. If not, I'll have to switch when it comes to purchasing photographic equipment (unless, of course, Amazon reduces their prices enough to compensate for our sales tax). Thanks for the clarification on the matter.

Tullio
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:37 AM   #15

Check out this price

http://www.blacks.ca/blacks/jump/pro...=32525&bauth=1
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16

Freds, that's a great price, you would actually save money over buying direct from olympus.

Tullio, it will probably only affect online retailers like amazon who sell for affiliates. Off the top of my head amazon is the only one i can think of, but you never know ebay could come under the same cross hairs too, when a state has money problems like California does everything is a target. Actually just finished my taxes and they were looking for paypal related income to be claimed.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:47 PM   #17

Humm...pretty soon eBay sellers will switch back to checks as a form of payment. That way they don't have to pay taxes (at least it is not traceable).

Tullio