Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21

Nice shots. I'm looking forward to summer to shoot some birds but unfortunately, in the outskirts of town all we get are Goldfinches and House Finches. On occassion, a Cardinal or Blue Jay but they don't hang around long enough to shoot. I've got all kinds of plants that are suppose to attract hummingbirds and in the last three years I've only seen one.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Nice shots. I'm looking forward to summer to shoot some birds but unfortunately, in the outskirts of town all we get are Goldfinches and House Finches. On occassion, a Cardinal or Blue Jay but they don't hang around long enough to shoot. I've got all kinds of plants that are suppose to attract hummingbirds and in the last three years I've only seen one.
i thought your finches were really nice. Do you know what was going on with the right eye on the goldfinch?

humming birds - I couldn't even imagine trying to shoot them, although when I was in St. Lucia they had humming birds that would sit on a branch and chill, we were told they just had the Caribbean pace to life. The ones we get very occasionally in the summer dart around so quickly the AF would never be able to keep up
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
i thought your finches were really nice. Do you know what was going on with the right eye on the goldfinch?

humming birds - I couldn't even imagine trying to shoot them, although when I was in St. Lucia they had humming birds that would sit on a branch and chill, we were told they just had the Caribbean pace to life. The ones we get very occasionally in the summer dart around so quickly the AF would never be able to keep up
I don't know what was going on there, likely an infection of some kind. I think the best way to shoot hummingbirds is with a nectar feeder. That way you could tripod the camera and prefocus on the feeder. Wireless shutter releases work great for bird shooting. Thanks for the comment on the finch photos.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:52 PM   #24

when this cake is gone I am going to re-position the feeder so that I can get a clear shot from inside without any branches in the way. I know I could get better shots this way with a tripod, but I also like being able to get more candid shots when the birds are perched on the tree - i also wonder if one of the reasons they keep coming back is that the feeder is kinda in the middle of the tree with branches all around which prevents things like sharp-shinned hawks from swooping in and grabbing one for lunch.

neways one last really candid shot - the chickadee flipped around fast and I got shown his a..

chickade but by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:19 PM   #25

I put our finch feeder right next to a flowering crab apple tree and doing that produced more visitors. I guess they liked cover nearby. My neighbor has a feeder out in the open and it's not visited as much as mine but it could be the seed. Finches are very fussy eaters when it comes to seeds. They have to be fresh. I agree that the candid shots are more nature like than a bird at a feeder but when you can pre-focus on a spot, the results are much sharper pics. Those finch pictures you viewed were not taken with my Oly. They were taken with my previous Canon 40D DSLR with a Canon 55-250 lens. Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing in selling all my Canon gear for the PL2 but I just got tired of lugging all that heavy stuff around. Found myself not taking my camera with me as much as I once did. We'll see this summer when the weather is nice and I can go down to the river and shoot some pics. The Great Lakes Freighters come up and down the river and I think they would make nice shots.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:13 PM   #26

The titmice photo was taken with the E-PL1 and 40-150 lens. (The camera was stolen subsequently.)

Great shots of these birds, I'm really enjoying them!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:18 PM   #27

Sorry to hear about your camera being stolen.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:02 PM   #28

Thanks. We've improved our home security, and they left behind the G3 and most of the lenses. They did get the E-PL1 with 14-42 lens and VF-2, though, plus a bunch of other stuff. Unfortunately, they took much of my wife's most meaningful jewelry, which had no great monetary value but was important sentimentally. The computer and hard disks were left, too, with all the photographs!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Thanks. We've improved our home security, and they left behind the G3 and most of the lenses. They did get the E-PL1 with 14-42 lens and VF-2, though, plus a bunch of other stuff. Unfortunately, they took much of my wife's most meaningful jewelry, which had no great monetary value but was important sentimentally. The computer and hard disks were left, too, with all the photographs!
My security is a sign near my front door that reads "Nothing in here worth dying for."
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you are shooting a very long range low light shot, the OIS does preform slightly better then the IBIS. But for daylight shoot, there is no benefit to us OIS.

But the 45-200 is a very good lens on the olympus. Very good reach in a small package. If you need more then 400mm, the olympus 75-300 is the one to get, the panny 100-300 is not as sharp. The 45-200 is a much shaper lens in the panny long zoom lineup.
Shoturtle - the 45-200 is really great imho - for a light travel kit the 45-200mm plus kit lens plus a prime fits nicely in the crumpler 4 million dollar home along with extra batteries, charger, usb cable, and wired shutter trigger. I leave the 45-200 on the camera and put it in the middle with the lens down and the screen up and it just fits perfect, big thanks to you on the recommendation of the crumpler in another thread.

I also think the 45-200mm plain looks good on the e-pl2 in black. I actually set it up using one of those dinky give away tripods and some folded clean dish towels in this shot - was going to try and take a few bird shots this way with fixed focus on the feeder but the birds didn't come back in the afternoon. The light is better in the morning anyways oh well next weekend.

E-pl2 with panasonic 45-200mm by ramcewan, on Flickr