Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:57 AM   #1

Default panny 200mm lens

just got my new (to me) panasonic 45-200mm lens and snapped a few pics of birds at the feeder.

first using the kit lens at 45mm

now with the 200mm handheld - IBIS at level 1 - OIS off

Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2

Nice shots, what kind of bird is that?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #3

james, thanks. The one with the red spot on his head is a male downy woodpecker, the last one is a white-breasted nuthatch
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Nice shots, what kind of bird is that?
I'll bet they appreciate those cakes. We feed the Goldfinches in the summer and occassionally I see a Hummingbird but by the time I get my gear out it's long gone. If they were daily visitors I could prepare for it. I took some pics of the Finches last year and used a tripod with wireless shutter release. It worked out pretty good, allowed me to get close.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:35 PM   #5

Yes they like the cakes - we get a few chickadees regularly visiting. We are lucky to have a mostly wooded lot with a good chunk of woods behind us so we get to see quite a bit of wildlife. It's kinda funny we used to have cedar siding and the woodpeckers would peck on the corner board of the house - not cause we have bugs or something but because they like to make noise - so we hated them. A few years back we were looking at painting the siding and doing some repair and opted for vinyl instead. Now we welcome the woodpeckers and feed them.
here's a shot of the female downy woodpecker - no red spot on her head - she's also more skittish so I didn't get a great shot before she flew away.

The tree this is in is a type of crab apple that will attract fruit eating birds. A couple of years in a row we were visited by flocks of cedar wax wings, they manage to strip the tree in a day or two. This year the chipmunk ate all the crab apples and we didn't get visited. Here are some pictures of them taken with the old p&s in 2008.

you can see they travel in flocks - it turns into a feeding frenzy and then as quickly as they show up they're gone

p.s. hopefully next winter I can really get some nice shots with my new rig

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:32 PM   #6

Beautiful little woodpecker. The darn things typically don't stay still very long when they land.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Greg, yes he's a regular - today it is very windy and I could only get a few snaps.

captured the chickadee - note the wind is blowing the feathers up on the back of the head making it look more like a titmouse

this lens sometimes confounds me with the focus point. Here was what should have been a nice shot of the woodpecker but looks like the focus point is about 3 inches in front on the branch.

with the birds flying in and out with the wind gusts it is hard to get more than a shot off. Think I am going to try S-AF+MF mode - I thought I had it set there but just checked and had it on C-AF+TR explains why the focus ring didn't seem to be doing anything
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:37 AM   #8

When I took some pics of Finches last summer I set up my tripod and pre-focused on a perch and fired the camera with a wireless remote.

Goldfinch by James Gasta, on Flickr

House Finch by James Gasta, on Flickr

House Finch by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:45 PM   #9

those are very nice James. I will have to do that at some point soon. I am still doing these shots handheld through a double pain window.

Captured a few shots this morning of a female blue bird - very easily frightened away she was picking the scraps on the ground

the male didn't come to the feeder - saw him in the tree. wishing I had a 300mm to get in closer - here's a heavily cropped shot

my friend the chickadee paused a moment to call while I took a pic

and my always willing model posed for a portrait also with the 200

and a shot with the 14mm panny at the wood pecker's work

Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:41 AM   #10

Very nice detail and color with the Panny 14mm, I like it.