Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:58 PM   #11

Greg, do find what I mentioned to be true? That is if there is a solid color (no contrast present) within the focus box, the auto focus will be confused or hunt.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:45 PM   #12

Yes, absolutely. It won't focus at all if there's nothing within the box to latch onto, with one caviat regarding the newest Pens. Within the working distance of the AF assist light built into the latest Pens, they can focus pretty well indoors when working with very little contrast. The AF assist light built into the E-P3 works outstandingly well.

I can go into my bedroom at night, turn the lights off and within 8-10 feet, the AF assist light puts out a beam strong enough to focus in almost total darkness. I imagine the E-PL3 and E-PM1 would work the same. Using my FL50R flash off-camera and/or with a bounce attachment in the typical dark conditions of evening parties, wedding receptions, etc, I expect the E-P3 would work very well.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13

Default Epm-1

Well , I took the camera back today
No complaints in IQ.
FAST A/F just the they say.
IMO Generally it is a nice little camera
I Like the features of the camera
BUT
It is just a little too small for my hands. Mainly the controls and buttons on the EPM-1 are just a little too small for me. I tried but it was too awkward

EPL-2 ??
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:20 AM   #14

I have big hands and don't seem to have any problems handling my E-PL2. The only thing I don't like about it is when you are shooting aperture or shutter priority and use the wheel on the back to change settings. Quite often as I'm turning the wheel I must put enough pressure on the wheel to activate something I do not want.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:42 AM   #15

Yes, the control wheel around the 4 way buttons definitely requires a "feel" or you can accidently press one of the four-way buttons. I've done it on both the E-PL2 and E-P3. After you've used it a while, you do it less as you get used to the controls. With the E-P3 you can get away from the control wheel more often since it has the extra dial.

The E-M5 has the real answer, doing away with the control wheel around the 4-way all-together with two independent dials on the top deck, which requires way more space then the E-PM1 allows. The price of being so small.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:17 PM   #16

The EPL2 is very similar to the EPL1 in terms of ergonomics. It has a small grip, which helps when using bigger lenses but the overall body size is not that big (still bigger than the EPM1 though). The G2/GH2 and even the G3 are better for big hands.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote