Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Default Just picked up a E-PM1 First Impressions

WOW this thing is TINY
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2

Wow, that was really the very very first impression! How about sharing some first impressions of its performance and results? The EPM1 does not appeal to me but it's always good to know how good (or bad) it performs and feels, specially if shooting with larger lenses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Wow, that was really the very very first impression! How about sharing some first impressions of its performance and results? The EPM1 does not appeal to me but it's always good to know how good (or bad) it performs and feels, specially if shooting with larger lenses.
Yes I will do that. I am planning on charging it tonight. and a small set up
test shots in a few days. I will not be shooting with a larger lens. I will use my E-520 for that.
For me its a slip in your pocket and go shoot some pictures camera.

No kidding , When I opened the box " WOW this thing is TINY "

Last edited by FredS; Feb 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:58 PM   #4

It "looks" tiny. I imagine I would probably have had the same first impression.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:18 PM   #5

I don't know how beneficial it will be to you but the E-PM1 has 35 focus points as compared to 11 on the E-PL2. Yes, this is a small camera and it appears that you could easily hold it in the palm of your hand.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I don't know how beneficial it will be to you but the E-PM1 has 35 focus points as compared to 11 on the E-PL2. ...
That would not matter to me as I use only one focus point. I don't like to leave the focus point up to the camera to determine (most often than not the camera chooses the wrong subject to focus on). I also don't like to use buttons to select the point i want the camera to focus on. I find it much easier to simply point the camera to where I want the focus to be, lock the focus, recompose and shoot.

Tullio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:46 AM   #7

I agree. I've already taken slightly out of focus shots using all the focus points. I also now use the single box.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:01 PM   #8

Even the single focus point can sometimes be inaccurate. I was playing with my G3 a few minutes ago and because I've been getting lots of soft images from it, I decided to experiment with the focus point. The G3 allows me to change the size of the single focus point from broad to very small. So, I selected the smallest size and started taking some pictures. I was pointing to a plant barrel but looking through small branches. Even though they were reasonably far from the center focus point, as I locked the focus I could tell that sometimes the camera would focus on a branch rather than the barrel behind it. So, it appears that the size of the focus box does not quite represent the internal focus point used by the camera. Obviously the larger the focus point, the worse the situation got.

Tullio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:19 PM   #9

I don't know how the G3 focuses but the E-PL2 uses contrast and if there is no differentiating contrast within the focus box, I believe it will confuse the auto focus system. Bob and Greg may elaborate more on this...hopefully.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:52 PM   #10

Both Panasonic and Olympus use the same contrast-detection AF system. I often do the exact same thing Tullio mentions regarding the shrinking of the AF box. You can zoom the Olympus single AF box down to a tiny 14x size if you wanted to focus on an extremely small area. I usually focus and recompose, but I also often enable the smaller AF box and move it to where the subject is positioned in the frame if it is relatively close and I am using a really wide aperture. At f2 or faster, depth of field in this format can be fairly narrow at closer distances. Sometimes up close, I can focus and when I shift to recompose, the subject will come out slightly unfocused because I did not shift my position and keep the subject at the exact same distance.

Every once & a while, there are times where even the 14x zoomed in AF box cannot get at a point where I want to AF if there's enough clutter in-between. For those times, I have the movie record button programmed to toggle between AF and MF and I will manually focus.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote