Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:14 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Image Stabilization - EPL1 - Help Needed

Received an EPL1 yesterday from Costco. Was a good deal!

However, on powering up the camera, I noticed that the IS indicator on the viewfinder is orange and blinking. According to the manual, this is a malfunction in the camera and the camera needs to be brought in for servicing.

Is this the case? Or is this a case of user error?

Any help would be appreciated.
stevel97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

It SOUNDS like you just to send that one back and get another. There's not much you can do up-front that would cause such an error if the battery is charged, you have a micro lens mounted and there is a card in the camera.

The lens is completely locked down in the mount, right? That's about all I can think of.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Did you unlock the lens? There is a small slide switch on the lens barrel you have to slide one way while at the same time rotating the zoom barrel.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

When the lens is locked the message is a different one. I know Costco is a reputable place but sometimes it makes me wonder. I've bought more electronic items from Costco that was defective right OOB than from any other online retailer. Perhaps that's one reason why their return policy is so good.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:04 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for your replies.

I did double check the lens was locked in the mount. The lens functions properly (i.e. auto focus works as it should).


The lens barrel was unlocked. Wouldn't be able to take pictures otherwise

Called Olympus and the tech said it sounds like a bad sensor subassembly and recommended I return it for a replacement or I can send it in for repairs.

Unfortunately, Costco no longer has any stock and per their buy in bulk and sell at a discounted price model, they don't know if they will stock this item again.

Oh well. Back it goes. Have to hunt down another deal.
stevel97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel97 View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I did double check the lens was locked in the mount. The lens functions properly (i.e. auto focus works as it should).


The lens barrel was unlocked. Wouldn't be able to take pictures otherwise

Called Olympus and the tech said it sounds like a bad sensor subassembly and recommended I return it for a replacement or I can send it in for repairs.

Unfortunately, Costco no longer has any stock and per their buy in bulk and sell at a discounted price model, they don't know if they will stock this item again.

Oh well. Back it goes. Have to hunt down another deal.
Sorry for the lens lock suggestion. I failed to see the error message you stated. Good luck in your quest to find another PL2.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

I'm not sure getting an EPL1 is worth the trouble and risk involved depending where you buy it from. It's a good camera but it's becoming outdated. The LCD is mediocre and unless you invest some $$$ on an EVF (VF2), you'll struggle shooting through the LCD particularly in low light situations or with MF lenses.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'm not sure getting an EPL1 is worth the trouble and risk involved depending where you buy it from. It's a good camera but it's becoming outdated. The LCD is mediocre and unless you invest some $$$ on an EVF (VF2), you'll struggle shooting through the LCD particularly in low light situations or with MF lenses.
agreed. Amazon has the epl1 for $268 with the kit lens but I still think you're better off spending a bit more for the e-pl2

actually I think this is an exceptional deal that will save you over buying the e-pl2 by itself and then dropping more money on a higher power zoom (which is what I did )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
agreed. Amazon has the epl1 for $268 with the kit lens but I still think you're better off spending a bit more for the e-pl2

actually I think this is an exceptional deal that will save you over buying the e-pl2 by itself and then dropping more money on a higher power zoom (which is what I did )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
This is a good buy and the kit 14-42mm lens is the newer II version. I have that same "kit" only I paid 800 bucks for it about a half a year ago but brand new, not refurbished. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished and wished that was available when I was shopping.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:34 PM.