Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Some nice shots here. Although not very evident, I see some CA (green lines) along the edges of some branches. I might be wrong but from what I've seen posted on many other forums, it appears that the 4/3 70-300mm is a better lens. Do you have that lens? If so, how do you compare the two in terms of IQ (let's leave size aside since we know for sure the m4/3 is much more compact and lighter)?
I was watching pretty close as I was processing, especially around the primary subject, and didn't notice much, if any CA to correct.

Yes, still have my four-thirds 70-300 and, at this point, would not use it on my micro bodies. AF way too slow compared to how the micro model performs. The micro also model seems much better wide open over the 70-300 wide open at 300mm.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:08 PM   #12

That first image is a stunner. What I call a "hero" shot -- slightly upwards strong profile with dramatic deep blue sky framing the subject. And the feathery wisps of the plumage. Stunning. M'thinks you enjoy shooting with your 75-300mm M.Zuiko.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I don't see any CA on my monitor.
ummm, I don't see any CA either on my laptop monitor. I haven't looked on the big desktop monitor yet, but it is not visible on this Toshiba laptop.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Geez, that's pretty close. Egrets around here are VERY spooky. All you have to around this area is stop your car and they are gone. I really would have to park the car along side the pond while they were not there and wait it out. I thought a Manfrotto window mount would be of good use for shooting these. Last summer I took some shots of Finches and I also got better results with manual focus. I posted a couple of pics in this thread.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...00mm-lens.html
Come on down to Florida, they are more use to all the people, you can usually get pretty close. Like this shot for example

Just this weekend, I was out in my back yard with an electric saw trimming a crape myrtle tree. A white Ibis landed about 10 feet from me on the shoreline, and then proceeded to walk right by me as he continued hunting food. The noise of the saw didn't even bother him. Too bad I was too busy to go inside and get my camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:28 PM   #15

Now that is getting close. Nice shot.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
That first image is a stunner. What I call a "hero" shot -- slightly upwards strong profile with dramatic deep blue sky framing the subject. And the feathery wisps of the plumage. Stunning. M'thinks you enjoy shooting with your 75-300mm M.Zuiko.
Thanks. Yes, really do enjoy using it and love the (lack of) weight in the bag I'm hauling around these days.

One last fun image from today. I was out at the lake, headed back to the car when I saw these guys between me and the dam wall. Had to shoot it. I didn't go all the way to 300mm as I wanted to keep the wall in the background, even though the atmospheric distortion is pretty severe due to the distances involved. I used the smallest AF box possible to ensure the focus was on the branch the egrets were perched on. The details captured in those birds for the distance to me is pretty impressive. At the two largest viewable sizes on my Smugmug site, X3 and original, there's a nice 3D effect viewing the birds against the out of focus and atmospheric distortion-plagued background.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Although not very evident, I see some CA (green lines) along the edges of some branches.
.....it is there and easily seen here on the iPAD & iMAC. I see it In several of the images.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:00 PM   #18

Going back and looking, I do see it, mainly in backlit branches. Opening shadows up like I did may have exposed it more? One image, #P2255136, I opened the RAW file, adjusted the Fix Yellow/Blue CA slider in the lens correction window of ACR to -20 and completely eliminated it. I had to open the file up pretty much to 100% to clearly see it like Tullio said. It wasn't anything that was obvious to me looking at them up to as big as 66% in Photoshop.

Olympus does no auto-correcting of chromatic aberrations, so if a lens exhibits it, at all, you have to fix it manually. I tried to be very careful along the edges of the white birds to avoid it, but for what I'm seeing, if I have to go to that extent to see it, I'll just live with it unless it's just really obvious around the main subject.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 PM   #19

This ones' typical for what I saw. Captured at 300mm, I pulled the shadows up quite a bit using a combination of lowering the blacks slider and raising the fill light slider. If you look at the darker, bigger branches in front of the bird, there's some obvious green CA..

I re-opened the raw file in ACR and adjusted the blue/yellow slider line in the CA correction box back to -25 and had this result..

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #20

....yeah, this ain't a big deal and easily corrected. I've had a couple recently with the 70-300 on the P3 that I could not fix, threw them away in a hurry, the files were heavily overhead lit (mid-day).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote