Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Of course, after seeing it, now I'm going back and fixing what I saw, despite what I said...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:58 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Look at the 5th and 6th shots...the OOF branches in front of the Egret present obvious green lines around them.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:07 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

I think you guys are nitpicking unless I have an untrained eye. Those pics look awful nice to me. I have a Dell 20" HD monitor. Mmm, maybe I need to calibrate it better than what the built in software can do but hate to spend the money on the Spyder calibrater. I guess I'm not that fussy.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:24 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Look at the 5th and 6th shots...the OOF branches in front of the Egret present obvious green lines around them.
I added one or two new images last night and may be having a hard time picking out which ones are 5th and 6th. Is This one of them?



I was having to enlarge some to 200% to make out fringing in some of the files, which to me is not enough to even think about. I also think my idea of "obvious" differs somewhat to what others idea of that means. In The image below of a locomotive engine room, shot with the E-PL1 and the Zuiko 8mm fisheye, the fringing around the windows on both sides.... this is my definition of "obvious", and I just don't see this in the egret files..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:28 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

I like the Big Boy cab photo. I'll bet it was a hot sucker in there during the summer. Is this one of the Big Boy's that are still operable. Seems to me there is only one that's operable/restored.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:29 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I think you guys are nitpicking unless I have an untrained eye. Those pics look awful nice to me. I have a Dell 20" HD monitor. Mmm, maybe I need to calibrate it better than what the built in software can do but hate to spend the money on the Spyder calibrater. I guess I'm not that fussy.
It is, very minor. If you were to make prints you'd have to make them pretty big before any evidence would show on paper. Just viewing them at a normal size where the image almost, but not quite, fills the screen on my 20 inch monitor (also a Dell), my attention is always drawn to the main subject. The only area I was really even looking at for CA while originally processing was the edges of the birds since that's where the point of focus was concentrated.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:34 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like the Big Boy cab photo. I'll bet it was a hot sucker in there during the summer. Is this one of the Big Boy's that are still operable. Seems to me there is only one that's operable/restored.
Unfortunately, this one does not work. It is, HUGE. This one is in a locomotive museum in Fair Park where the Texas State Fair is held. They are about to complete a new venue for the museum in far North Dallas that will be a better location for the pieces since it will be indoors. The current location is outside and everything has been exposed to the weather for many, many years. Not a good thing.

This engine room has a fence in front of the door, but I was able to balance the camera on top of the fence and shoot through with the fisheye with no obstructions. That I was using a fisheye and barely covered the interior gives you a good idea how big that thing is. I'd hate to think I had to learn all those knobs and controls, and what it took just to do the most mundane of things, like maybe reverse the engine.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:49 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Unfortunately, this one does not work. It is, HUGE. This one is in a locomotive museum in Fair Park where the Texas State Fair is held. They are about to complete a new venue for the museum in far North Dallas that will be a better location for the pieces since it will be indoors. The current location is outside and everything has been exposed to the weather for many, many years. Not a good thing.

This engine room has a fence in front of the door, but I was able to balance the camera on top of the fence and shoot through with the fisheye with no obstructions. That I was using a fisheye and barely covered the interior gives you a good idea how big that thing is. I'd hate to think I had to learn all those knobs and controls, and what it took just to do the most mundane of things, like maybe reverse the engine.
I'm a train buff myself and do realize how large this engine is. From what I've read both the engineer and brakeman are very busy adjusting valves during a trip or run. It's certainly not a put it in gear and sit back.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:54 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,554
Default

I am not nitpicking and the level seen not distracting IMO, but being able to see it is a fact of the result from the hardware, it is either present or it is not........... 10101010 is still my way of thinking after dealing with it for 50-years, there is no other option, it is a binary thing; on or off, yes or no.

I only joined in because it is present and is easily seen if looking for it, otherwise it isn't particularly noticeable, just a Sgt Joe Friday thing, remember Dragnet, "....just the facts ma'am".

The iPAD is a remarkable display which I use often to view my own images, the 'spread & pinch' facility makes it super fast and easy to look at 'stuff'.

Outta here, the wife has a Dr appointment & it looks a bit like some rain possible. No photos today for me.
__________________
.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:59 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I am not nitpicking and the level seen not distracting IMO, but being able to see it is a fact of the result from the hardware, it is either present or it is not........... 10101010 is still my way of thinking after dealing with it for 50-years, there is no other option, it is a binary thing; on or off, yes or no.

I only joined in because it is present and is easily seen if looking for it, otherwise it isn't particularly noticeable, just a Sgt Joe Friday thing, remember Dragnet, "....just the facts ma'am".

The iPAD is a remarkable display which I use often to view my own images, the 'spread & pinch' facility makes it super fast and easy to look at 'stuff'.

Outta here, the wife has a Dr appointment & it looks a bit like some rain possible. No photos today for me.
The "nitpicking" wasn't meant to be deragatory Bob. Hope you didn't take it that way.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:52 AM.