Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #21

Of course, after seeing it, now I'm going back and fixing what I saw, despite what I said...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:58 AM   #22

Look at the 5th and 6th shots...the OOF branches in front of the Egret present obvious green lines around them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:07 AM   #23

I think you guys are nitpicking unless I have an untrained eye. Those pics look awful nice to me. I have a Dell 20" HD monitor. Mmm, maybe I need to calibrate it better than what the built in software can do but hate to spend the money on the Spyder calibrater. I guess I'm not that fussy.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Look at the 5th and 6th shots...the OOF branches in front of the Egret present obvious green lines around them.
I added one or two new images last night and may be having a hard time picking out which ones are 5th and 6th. Is This one of them?

I was having to enlarge some to 200% to make out fringing in some of the files, which to me is not enough to even think about. I also think my idea of "obvious" differs somewhat to what others idea of that means. In The image below of a locomotive engine room, shot with the E-PL1 and the Zuiko 8mm fisheye, the fringing around the windows on both sides.... this is my definition of "obvious", and I just don't see this in the egret files..

Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:28 AM   #25

I like the Big Boy cab photo. I'll bet it was a hot sucker in there during the summer. Is this one of the Big Boy's that are still operable. Seems to me there is only one that's operable/restored.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I think you guys are nitpicking unless I have an untrained eye. Those pics look awful nice to me. I have a Dell 20" HD monitor. Mmm, maybe I need to calibrate it better than what the built in software can do but hate to spend the money on the Spyder calibrater. I guess I'm not that fussy.
It is, very minor. If you were to make prints you'd have to make them pretty big before any evidence would show on paper. Just viewing them at a normal size where the image almost, but not quite, fills the screen on my 20 inch monitor (also a Dell), my attention is always drawn to the main subject. The only area I was really even looking at for CA while originally processing was the edges of the birds since that's where the point of focus was concentrated.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like the Big Boy cab photo. I'll bet it was a hot sucker in there during the summer. Is this one of the Big Boy's that are still operable. Seems to me there is only one that's operable/restored.
Unfortunately, this one does not work. It is, HUGE. This one is in a locomotive museum in Fair Park where the Texas State Fair is held. They are about to complete a new venue for the museum in far North Dallas that will be a better location for the pieces since it will be indoors. The current location is outside and everything has been exposed to the weather for many, many years. Not a good thing.

This engine room has a fence in front of the door, but I was able to balance the camera on top of the fence and shoot through with the fisheye with no obstructions. That I was using a fisheye and barely covered the interior gives you a good idea how big that thing is. I'd hate to think I had to learn all those knobs and controls, and what it took just to do the most mundane of things, like maybe reverse the engine.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Unfortunately, this one does not work. It is, HUGE. This one is in a locomotive museum in Fair Park where the Texas State Fair is held. They are about to complete a new venue for the museum in far North Dallas that will be a better location for the pieces since it will be indoors. The current location is outside and everything has been exposed to the weather for many, many years. Not a good thing.

This engine room has a fence in front of the door, but I was able to balance the camera on top of the fence and shoot through with the fisheye with no obstructions. That I was using a fisheye and barely covered the interior gives you a good idea how big that thing is. I'd hate to think I had to learn all those knobs and controls, and what it took just to do the most mundane of things, like maybe reverse the engine.
I'm a train buff myself and do realize how large this engine is. From what I've read both the engineer and brakeman are very busy adjusting valves during a trip or run. It's certainly not a put it in gear and sit back.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:54 AM   #29

I am not nitpicking and the level seen not distracting IMO, but being able to see it is a fact of the result from the hardware, it is either present or it is not........... 10101010 is still my way of thinking after dealing with it for 50-years, there is no other option, it is a binary thing; on or off, yes or no.

I only joined in because it is present and is easily seen if looking for it, otherwise it isn't particularly noticeable, just a Sgt Joe Friday thing, remember Dragnet, "....just the facts ma'am".

The iPAD is a remarkable display which I use often to view my own images, the 'spread & pinch' facility makes it super fast and easy to look at 'stuff'.

Outta here, the wife has a Dr appointment & it looks a bit like some rain possible. No photos today for me.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I am not nitpicking and the level seen not distracting IMO, but being able to see it is a fact of the result from the hardware, it is either present or it is not........... 10101010 is still my way of thinking after dealing with it for 50-years, there is no other option, it is a binary thing; on or off, yes or no.

I only joined in because it is present and is easily seen if looking for it, otherwise it isn't particularly noticeable, just a Sgt Joe Friday thing, remember Dragnet, "....just the facts ma'am".

The iPAD is a remarkable display which I use often to view my own images, the 'spread & pinch' facility makes it super fast and easy to look at 'stuff'.

Outta here, the wife has a Dr appointment & it looks a bit like some rain possible. No photos today for me.
The "nitpicking" wasn't meant to be deragatory Bob. Hope you didn't take it that way.