Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
The iPAD is a remarkable display which I use often to view my own images, the 'spread & pinch' facility makes it super fast and easy to look at 'stuff'.
My daughter has one of those. I had a chance to play with it over a couple of days. The display is, amazingly crystal clear. I couldn't imagine going for a smaller iPad Mini, which I hear is a product on the way....isn't that an iPod?! The iPad is a perfect size.

My girlfriend has a prior generation (most recent before the current series) iMac and I do not care for the screen on it. It's a glossy screen and the smallest amount of light shining into it really distracts. I watched her try and process an image file in Photoshop Elements and it didn't look like a good screen for image processing to me.

I read at one time the LCD screen Apple sells for their G series desktop is the same LCD screen used in the series of Dell monitors I have and I've really enjoyed using it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:09 PM   #32

many times the displays on our mobile devices trump a laptop display. Initially I was excited about the olympus penpal for this reason - imagine being able to instantly review your photo on your tablet. Or even better I could imagine a day when we'll be using our tablets to remote control our cameras, now that would be awesome! no need for the vf-2, I just use my 10.1 inch tablet with an IPS HD screen to frame, focus and fire!

I read that the e-series of olympus cameras can actually be controlled by a laptop via USB with live view http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp pretty sweet imho except the resolution on the video is low.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Hope you didn't take it that way
....didn't James, just rambling

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I read that the e-series of olympus cameras can actually be controlled by a laptop via USB with live view http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp pretty sweet imho except the resolution on the video is low.
The software Olympus used for controlling the camera via the computer, Olympus Studio, is now quite outdated. I would imagine the last generation or two (or three) of Olympus cameras would not be recognized by the product. When Olympus brought out Viewer, they discontinued updating Studio, and Viewer does not allow camera control by computer.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:58 PM   #35

Anyone have the Blue Tooth accessory for the Pen?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:18 PM   #36

James - I don't have it ... I was hot to get it but then I read that it only sends compressed versions of your photos, not the full RAW or even fullsize JPEG - it compresses the picture down to 1920 by 1440, i.e. ready to post to social media, but not the full size you'd probably prefer.

Here's a review with details;

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382940,00.asp

A better option would be the eye-fi wifi enabled SD cards which can send directly to your mobile device

http://www.eye.fi/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:44 PM   #37

If you read between the lines in the Eye Fi View section, it appears you have to pay 50 bucks a year to download full file sizes. And you are correct, the Oly Blue Tooth wouldn't do me much good if the file sizes are reduced and since I'm not much of a Facebook or Twitter blogger it would be of no use there as well. I'm on Facebook but spend little time there. It's getting silly when you read that Joe Blow is at McDonalds right now, etc, etc. I mean, c'mon get real. Maybe I'm just too old fashion, I don't need to know where my friends are at, if I want to talk to them I'll call them.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
If you read between the lines in the Eye Fi View section, it appears you have to pay 50 bucks a year to download full file sizes. And you are correct, the Oly Blue Tooth wouldn't do me much good if the file sizes are reduced and since I'm not much of a Facebook or Twitter blogger it would be of no use there as well. I'm on Facebook but spend little time there. It's getting silly when you read that Joe Blow is at McDonalds right now, etc, etc. I mean, c'mon get real. Maybe I'm just too old fashion, I don't need to know where my friends are at, if I want to talk to them I'll call them.
I guess I missed that on the eye-fi information. I stopped looking when I saw the 8GB PRO would cost $99 and was only class 6. I think I would much prefer to have an extra card in my bag. That and some of the android tablets actually support full USB host allowing one to connect a USB card reader to the tablet for picture viewing. I've had my eye on the ASUS transformer for a while - same resolution as the iPads but full USB support.

Oh and I hear you on facebook and I am 38... I mainly go on facebook to keep track of my teenage daughter... honestly I think it is evil as people craft an image of themselves that is composed of only happy moments they choose to include - makes others think "wow their life is so much better than mine" and get depressed when they are going through unhappy times. I seriously worry about the mental health of kids who are deeply into facebook. That and the fact that they are selling your information makes it evil too.... anyways completely off topic sorry for the rant
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:59 PM   #39

I guess I missed that on the eye-fi information. I stopped looking when I saw the 8GB PRO would cost $99 and was only class 6. I think I would much prefer to have an extra card in my bag. That and some of the android tablets actually support full USB host allowing one to connect a USB card reader to the tablet for picture viewing. I've had my eye on the ASUS transformer for a while - same resolution as the iPads but full USB support.

I have an Acer Android Tablet my daughter and husband bought me for Christmas last year and I really don't know what all it's capable of doing. You never get manuals anymore, have to go online to get information.
I use it occassionally to check local gas prices, GPS, weather, Skype, and load photos to show relatives. It has a pretty sharp screen but not as good as the iPad but then it only cost half as much. I would have rather had a Harmony RF remote so my wife could use the Home Theater without me setting it up for her. I'll have to investigate the USB card reader you mentioned, much easier than with the sync.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

Oh and I hear you on facebook and I am 38... I mainly go on facebook to keep track of my teenage daughterrant
I let my mom do that on my daughter. I refuse to register and account on Facebook. I may be one of 10 people in the world who do not have one, and that isn't changing.