Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:15 PM   #1

Default Nesting Egrets- E-P3 and 75-300 M. Zuiko

Went over to the hospital district, where there's a wooded area that Egrets nest every year. Very confined space, and this morning there was a lot of back-lit nests where I tried my hand in addition to a few where I had nice, clear shots with the E-P3 and 75-300mm M. Zuiko.

Captured raw and processed in Adobe Camera RAW..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2

Another winning series Greg. Excellent shots against a beautiful blue sky.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:03 AM   #3

Thanks, Steven.

After posting those, I processed a few more of the more heavily backlit images and like the way they came out as well..

This next one, I couldn't make the AF box small enough so I resorted to manual focus..

I love how the wind caught the feathers on this one..

Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:13 AM   #4

Went over to the hospital district, where there's a wooded area that Egrets nest every year.

Is this in the neighborhood that gets painted every year and the people can't do anything about it because the egrets are law-protected for nesting?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:39 AM   #5

Excellent shots as always Greg. What would you say your actual distance from the Egrets was?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Went over to the hospital district, where there's a wooded area that Egrets nest every year.

Is this in the neighborhood that gets painted every year and the people can't do anything about it because the egrets are law-protected for nesting?
I know EXACTLY where you are talking about, and no. That's a neighborhood in Carrollton. This is on the SE corner of Inwood and Harry Hines on the UT Southwestern campus. This area is designated for the birds. Marked (by humans!) and everything.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Excellent shots as always Greg. What would you say your actual distance from the Egrets was?
I am terrible with distances, but I would guess, at the closest around 15-20 yards, at the longest, maybe twice or a little more than that distance.

The area has a path around it and you cannot go inside the wood area where they are nesting, so the ones nearest the edge are obviously the easiest to get at. Some of the ones deep in were the ones with so many branches in-between.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Geez, that's pretty close. Egrets around here are VERY spooky. All you have to around this area is stop your car and they are gone. I really would have to park the car along side the pond while they were not there and wait it out. I thought a Manfrotto window mount would be of good use for shooting these. Last summer I took some shots of Finches and I also got better results with manual focus. I posted a couple of pics in this thread.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...00mm-lens.html
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9

Some nice shots here. Although not very evident, I see some CA (green lines) along the edges of some branches. I might be wrong but from what I've seen posted on many other forums, it appears that the 4/3 70-300mm is a better lens. Do you have that lens? If so, how do you compare the two in terms of IQ (let's leave size aside since we know for sure the m4/3 is much more compact and lighter)?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10

I don't see any CA on my monitor.