Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
These cameras do not have a macro mode in the same sense of macro modes on digicams with built-in lenses where a macro mode shifts lens elements to allow for closer focusing. With this system, like a DSLR, you have to have a lens or lens accessory that allows for closer focusing in order to actually get closer.

That's what the EX25 tube does. It allows a lens that normally might only focus down to 3 feet to focus as close as just a few inches from the subject. It turns a zoom like the 40-150 or 70-300 into a close focusing only lens. In order to go back to normal shooting distances, you have to remove the EX25.
I was actually referring to a setting on the mode dial called "SCN" (scene) which allows you to pick "MACRO" or "NATURE MACRO" as a scene mode. Maybe this is only on the E-PL2 model.

Sounds like you are well beyond using the preset modes anyways - just thought I'd ask.

On a side note I am very envious of your two 300mm zooms. Which do you like best? The 75-300mm is way out of my budget so I am tempted to get a used 70-300mm with an adapter but was a little concerned about focus speed.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:49 PM   #12

ready for some distance with that 50-200+EC20!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I was actually referring to a setting on the mode dial called "SCN" (scene) which allows you to pick "MACRO" or "NATURE MACRO" as a scene mode. Maybe this is only on the E-PL2 model.

Sounds like you are well beyond using the preset modes anyways - just thought I'd ask.

On a side note I am very envious of your two 300mm zooms. Which do you like best? The 75-300mm is way out of my budget so I am tempted to get a used 70-300mm with an adapter but was a little concerned about focus speed.
The macro scene mode is present on all the Pens, but it does not do the same thing as using a macro mode on a digicam with a fixed lens. The macro mode on a Pen is just going to set an exposure with closeups in mind. It will not actually get you in closer to the subject. You have to have a lens with close focus properties to do that. I really wonder why they even put "macro modes" on cameras like Pens and even DSLR's, where you need a lens that can focus close.

Focus speed is slow using the four-thirds 70-300, but if it's static subjects or closeups you are shooting, it may not be an issue at all. You can see Bob is definitely putting his 70-300 to good use on the Pen. I really like using the 75-300 M. Zuiko and have come to prefer it on the Pen. AF is lightening fast and it's considerably lighter than even the light 70-300 four-thirds model.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:00 PM   #14

Hey Bob: nice shots and I like your setup.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:55 PM   #15

Quote:
ready for some distance with that 50-200+EC20!
Yep, I am anxious to get the 50-200 out with the EC20 and surely am hoping for a decent day for the Kite Festival next Saturday.

I hooked it up today and got an idea of what to expect. For long distance this is at the end of the block in front of our house. I once stepped this distance at very close to 425 feet.

They have a mini-DOG out sometimes and I can't wait for a chance at that little rascal, 400mm @ 425 ft with some bright light.

This not the E-P3 but the E-3 (I needed the counter balance so I could hold it) but when we get some sun I will get it on the P3. I've used my 50-200 vI on the P3 and it works well for my photo-usage (mostly static)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:04 PM   #16

Quote:
I was actually referring to a setting on the mode dial called "SCN" (scene) which allows you to pick "MACRO" or "NATURE MACRO" as a scene mode.

I posted this earlier, http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/on...rm_e_macro.asp it may help understand the SCN modes. I have not tried using the SCN MACRO modes with the EC-25 but I intend to when the rain stops in the next 3-6 days.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:04 PM   #17

Bob,

Thanks for the link - much more informative than the information in the manual.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
The 70-300 plus the four-thirds to micro adapter is not overly larger/longer than the micro 75-300. ...
It might be the perspective but from your picture, the 70-300 is a much larger lens. Not only it's taller but it's much bulkier (and I guess heavier) as well. I used to have the 70-300 and I remember it being quite a large lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It might be the perspective but from your picture, the 70-300 is a much larger lens. Not only it's taller but it's much bulkier (and I guess heavier) as well. I used to have the 70-300 and I remember it being quite a large lens.
Definitely is, both bigger and heavier. Relatively speaking, the 70-300 is light for a four-thirds lens, heavy compared to any micro lens, even the 75-300, but it's the most useable of the longer four-thirds lenses on a micro body. I'd rather be trying to use the 70-300 on a Pen than either version of the 50-200.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:12 AM   #20

Hi Bob,

One of my very favorite butterfly photos of last season was this image.

A very well done capture with great detail, color fidelity and composition.

Thanks for sharing this one again

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote