Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:39 PM   #1

Default ....they say, 'practice makes perfect'

......so that is what I am doing with hopes of becoming better each time out at close up photography. Yesterday a friend stopped by the house and invited me to tag along for a 'shoot' session, he also lent me an EX-25 to try.

I've wanted to test my prowess with the EX-25 now for quite a while so for the first round I latched it onto the E-P3 then coupled up the FT 40-150 and off we went.

What appeared on the camera LCD to be OK, turned out to be CRAP! Not a stellar first game, but I am willing to practice at it and what I learned from the first time I adjusted for today.

Today was quite a lot different for the results were much better than yesterday, I am hoping for better yet as my experience grows. The plant life here is beginning to show liveliness and I want to be ready for the wildflowers profusion which is about to happen.

Here's a sampling from my morning out with the E-P3, EX-25, FT 40-150. If nothing else this combination is just plain handy, feels good and LOOKS TERRIFIC in the field.

A seed pod cluster from last year 1-inch diameter

......still standing from last year 3/4-inch diameter

.....thistle bloom 3/4-inch diameter

....seed pod from last year 1 1/4-inch

.....we've a lot of these little buggers, each blooom is approximately 3/8-inch diameter

........and this cluster was barely 1-inch at the widest

....and is there anything prettier than new leaves, this from the Mexican Plum, the largest leaf, about 1 1/4-inch.

I am feeling pretty good about what I've learned in the two outings, next will be to latch up the FT 70-300 to the EX-25 and I am then about ready to try for the itty bitty bugs and things.

I hope you had a nice weekend, we surely had SPRING type weather here in north central Texas and are thankful the monster bad weather did not affect us.............. so sorry for those who were affected.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Great-looking closeups Bob. I spent all day over at Katherine's and about half the images were not loading to my iPhone while looking at them this afternoon. Now that I'm home and looking at them, they look very nice. The detail on them all is great. Those little purple blooms look great. You'd never know how small they are looking at them here.

Get ready for some serious magnification using the 70-300.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:22 AM   #3

Excuse my ignorance but what is an EX25? Extender?? Great shots Bob, lots of detail.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:47 AM   #4

James, the EX-25 is a close-up 'tube' mounted between the camera and lens which allows for lesser focusing distance lens to subject. The ex-25 is designed by Olympus for Olympus FT lenses and maintains electronic communications between lens and camera.

Check this link and see the bottom of the page........ http://tinyurl.com/83naptx

Thanks for your comment.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:43 PM   #5

I'm trying to picture the size of your EP3 with this setup...EP3 + 4/3 to m4/3 adapter + EX-25 + 70-300mm...huge!!!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:20 PM   #6

the purple flowers are my favorite although I do enjoy the colors on the first one and the seed pod. Are you using the macro mode on the camera or just setting your own settings?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'm trying to picture the size of your EP3 with this setup...EP3 + 4/3 to m4/3 adapter + EX-25 + 70-300mm...huge!!!
It's not too, too big. Certainly not compared to trying to use the much larger 50-200.

The 70-300 plus the four-thirds to micro adapter is not overly larger/longer than the micro 75-300. You just have to imagine the short additional length of the EX25 tube here, but the weight difference is more substantial than just the physical size difference you see in this image.

Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
the purple flowers are my favorite although I do enjoy the colors on the first one and the seed pod. Are you using the macro mode on the camera or just setting your own settings?
These cameras do not have a macro mode in the same sense of macro modes on digicams with built-in lenses where a macro mode shifts lens elements to allow for closer focusing. With this system, like a DSLR, you have to have a lens or lens accessory that allows for closer focusing in order to actually get closer.

That's what the EX25 tube does. It allows a lens that normally might only focus down to 3 feet to focus as close as just a few inches from the subject. It turns a zoom like the 40-150 or 70-300 into a close focusing only lens. In order to go back to normal shooting distances, you have to remove the EX25.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
James, the EX-25 is a close-up 'tube' mounted between the camera and lens which allows for lesser focusing distance lens to subject. The ex-25 is designed by Olympus for Olympus FT lenses and maintains electronic communications between lens and camera.

Check this link and see the bottom of the page........ http://tinyurl.com/83naptx

Thanks for your comment.
Thanks Bob. I would think that the DOF would be much shorter using this than without. Mmm, I might be interested in something like this.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
....the system is quite well balanced and the more I use it the better it feels. Since September last I have used the E-P3 almost exclusively with the 70-300 for all my many field trips and it just is a topnotch rig.

This coming summer with the ex-25 I hope to improve my 'critter' captures, particularly the butterflies as well as the flowers such as lantana which is very difficult (for me) to capture the miniscule detail in the bloom cluster.

This is one of my better monarch butterfly images with the 70-300 on the E-P3. Summer is going to be a lot of fun.

As for how the hardware assembles it is not really very large as Greg said, especially when compared to the 50-200 and to the E-3 with the EC20 + 50-200.

This is what those combinations look like, sorry I did not replace the flash with the VF-2 and place the E-P3 in the foreground.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM.