Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Honestly I am quite pleased with the shots from today given the lack of light and the window in between.

As for opening the window maybe when the weather is warmer I will try - last time I had it open the birds wouldn't come in.

For the price of your Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 plus Kenko 1.5TC I think I'd opt for the 70-300mm Olympus FT lens plus adapter.

The 70-300 is a fine lens but too slow for my tastes. Shoting in the Northwest in the often poor light a lens that slow will take to long to focus. I can focus faster myself and with an AF confirm adapter for 4/3 I can get pretty spot on focus. Of course I mostly shoot Pentax now so Oly glass would be silly for me to buy

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:10 AM   #42

window open, grey day, f8 shutter speed 1/500

pp in oly viewer tone corrected otherwise left alone

white breasted nuthatch 20120401 II by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:40 AM   #43

Very usable image for sure.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:05 PM   #44

thanks tullio

and yet again I have gone and bought another 300mm... a Tair 300mm f4.5 Brussels Grand Prix 1958 by serial number it is from 1965.

Tair 3 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Tripod mounted the 16 blade continuously variable aperture set to the line marked f8, shutter priority 1/500, no pp

Female Downy Woodpecker 20120407 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:34 PM   #45

Your ensemble looks massive. IMO, it totally defeats the purpose of having a m4/3 system. I'd use every penny toward either a m4/3 or a 4/3 lens with a 300mm reach. The Zuiko 4/3 70-300mm + adapter is a good choice if you wish to save some $$$. Next comes the Lumix 100-300mm. They are both excellent choices. The Zuiko m4/3 75-300mm is also a good lens but it is much more expensive.

Tullio
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:44 AM   #46

Tullio - I think your opinion is that of one coming from DSLR or SLR to m4/3;

to you the point is smaller and lighter kit, price is secondary as you have already gotten used to spending a lot for lenses, etc.

I on the other hand am coming from P&S and see the m4/3 as a big step up from the P&S but not all the way to DSLR. These MF lenses are a way for me to try different lenses and have some fun, also since the price of them is relatively stable the loss of buying and selling multiple lenses is mostly the cost of shipping. I plan to sell either the Nikon or the Tair depending upon which I decide I like most in the next few weeks.

In actuality I have spent net much less than a Zuiko 4/3 70-300mm + adapter. My MFT kit is small and light and already includes the excellent 45-200mm panasonic. Some day I will get a 300mm MFT lens. I have heard the Lumix 100-300mm is not very good. I am waiting on a good sale on either of the two Olympus lenses. I fear I am going to be disappointed with the 4/3 Zuiko and adapter as I have already been frustrated with AF on the 45-200mm Panasonic. In fact I was never able to get an in focus picture of the red-bellied wood pecker with the AF Panasonic but first attempt with the MF Nikon yielded good pictures. So at this point my hope is that by next winter the 75-300mm may go on sale and I will be able to justify it as my birthday (December)/ Christmas present, till then these sub $100 300mm primes fill the need for birding at home and the 45-200mm is the longest my travel kit goes.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:39 AM   #47

Obviously Ramcewan is having fun with his affordable purchases and if he is pleased with his photos, so be it. The time will come when he will get into one of the compact M43 or 4/3 300mm lenses. After all, this is a hobby and hobbies are suppose to be fun and enjoyable. I remember way back when I was a model railroader in HO scale. I just had a few of the cheaper plastic Athearn locomotives and I envied a friend who had a highly detailed brass Korean locomotive that I drooled over. Bottom line is that I had just as much fun as he did for far less money.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:34 PM   #48

Where I come from is really not the point I'm trying to make. I've had both P&S and DSLR cameras. In fact, I still have a couple of P&S cameras as well as m4/3. I've spent a lot of money on MF lenses since I got into m4/3 and personally I wish I haven't because at the end of the day, I get much much better (and consistent) results with m4/3 ded lanses rather than with most of the old vintage MF lenses I have. So, today, I rather save my money and buy m4/3 lenses than spend on legacy lenses unless the have something to offer that I can't gets on m4/3 format. I also agree that playing with those legacy lenses is fun so as long as you are having fun, don't pay any attention to my comments as they are irrelevant. BTW, I have some legacy lenses I like very much, like the Chinon 50mm f1.7 or the Vivitar 55mm macro.

Tullio
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:57 PM   #49

There's another way of looking at this. Getting the legacy lenses is a good way to help you determine where one wants to spend the money when it comes time to buy a m4/3 lens. If buying an inexpensive long lens really gets one interested in tele shooting, then buying that m75-300 won't be an experiment, you will know it is the lens you really want. But if you find yourself less than thrilled shooting with the long lens, at least you did not put out too much cash.

Though how you manage to get a shot of a bird looking relaxed whilst you point that artillery piece in its direction is beyond me.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:06 AM   #50

Tullio - apologies for assuming your point of view, as you have mentioned before you went down the MF lens road and are merely trying to share your experience to save me from pitfalls your retrospectively see in this road. I appreciate your sharing and I am listening and waiting for the olympus' to be on sale, at which point I may sell my long MF lenses, although it will be hard.

I also agree with Kulacube's sentiment as I have more than once perused borrow lens hoping I could rent a lens I wanted only to be disappointed by the limited selection and high price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulacube
Though how you manage to get a shot of a bird looking relaxed whilst you point that artillery piece in its direction is beyond me.
yeah that's the great thing about the 300mm focal length is that you can set up on a tripod 6 feet away from the window inside the house pointing out the slightly opened window to a feeder 6 feet beyond that. Throw in the 4 feet of the wired remote which allows me to be even a little further away and I don't think the bird even knows I am there. Although I do think they still hear the shutter click...

So back to the hardware... what do you think of the Tair shot?

to me it is in league with the Nikon if not a little sharper but I may be expressing bias as I have read soo many raves about this lens which was voted best in the world back in 1958...

For those that don't know there was a period of time after WWII where the Russians had many of the best optics makers in the world from East Germany at their disposal along with the designs from houses like Zeiss and Jenna which they continued to produce. I also have a Jupiter-8 50mm f2 lens that is an exact copy of the Pre-war Zeiss lens.

It is beautifully built and amazingly small mounted on the e-pl2, it is also quite sharp even wide open with bokeh to die for thanks to it's 10 blade aperture. To me at $65 shipped from Hungary it is a poor man's Olympus 45mm f1.8 and will be in my bag till I get that lens.

Jupiter 8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Apr 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote