Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:53 AM   #1

Default trying out legacy lenses - hexanon 40mm f1.8 and tamron 300mm f5.6

got my m42 and konica ar to mft adapters yesterday along with a few wonderful pieces of old manual focus glass.

First up is the konica hexanon 40mm f1.8, got this as part of an autoreflex kit I bought for $40USD BIN, came with a 80-200mm Hoya zoom, the camera, a really cool vintage leather hard case and two 55mm Hoya filters, UV and skylight. Overall an excellent deal, I would have gladly paid the $40 just for this lens

Here it is on the e-pl2 - I think it looks right

E-pl2 with hexanon 40mm by ramcewan, on Flickr

and here is my kitty taken with this lens, wide open F1.8, low natural light coming in from the window at the end of a cloudy day. I really like the colors and the DOF is pretty nice although I think I could have stopped it down a bit as even though focus was on the eyes some parts are a little blurry.

Maya_20120310_40mm_f1.8 by ramcewan, on Flickr

now on to the big gun, the tamron 300mm f5.6, this is the first version the 670Au and I think I paid a little too much at $65USD, but oh well, they can't all be good deals. Here it is on the camera - note it has a built in lens hood which is extended.

Tamron 300mm 670Au on e-pl2 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Luckily it has a tripod mount on the lens so I mounted it on the tripod and snapped a few of my bluebird friend sitting in the tree. One thing that is really nice and why I wanted a 300mm is that I can set this up 7feet away from the window and snap away without ever scarring the birds away, whereas with the 45-200mm panasonic I need to get right next to the window and have scared more than a few birds away.

tamron 300mm blue bird 20120310 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Overall the colors are very natural
Anyways thanks for looking

Last edited by ramcewan; Mar 13, 2012 at 5:19 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:46 AM   #2

I see some of your shutter speeds are as low as 1/125. I was told a long time ago by a professional photographer that the minimum shutter speed, in most cases, should be at least the focal length you are shooting at. So if you were using your 300 at 150 (= to 300), your shutter speed should be at least 1/300 of a second. Doing this should squeeze a little more sharpness out of the photos for you along with using a tripod or even a monopod. You likely will have to push the ASA up to do this. Just my two cents, not gospel.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3

james,

thank you for the tip, I will give it a try. All the shots I took with the 300mm are with it mounted on a tripod. The last set are using a remote trigger as I think pushing the shutter button was introducing some shake. I may also try setting the shutter delay as well. It did seem like the images were sharper in the view finder.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4

So I have been taking photos with the iAuto mode on when using these manual focus lenses.

Reading through the manual I see that maybe shutter priority is an option? I am assuming that since I set the shutter and the aperture is not controllable the camera will adjust ISO to meet the shutter speed?

Or do I, as you suggested James, need to up the ISO and keep the camera in iAuto mode.

Thoughts and tips are welcome.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
So I have been taking photos with the iAuto mode on when using these manual focus lenses.

Reading through the manual I see that maybe shutter priority is an option? I am assuming that since I set the shutter and the aperture is not controllable the camera will adjust ISO to meet the shutter speed?

Or do I, as you suggested James, need to up the ISO and keep the camera in iAuto mode.

Thoughts and tips are welcome.
<The camera should auto adjust ISO providing the auto ISO is set to on. I would not use the iAuto mode, shutter priority should be used. That way you will ensure the proper shutter speed is set. If shooting RAW, I don't know for sure if the auto ISO will be functional. You will have to look/read.>
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:29 PM   #6

Just checked the user guide (gotta love searchable PDFs!) and auto-ISO is available in all modes except manual by default and can be turned on in manual if desired. I think I will give it a whirl with shutter priority and auto-ISO on.

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:35 PM   #7

You're welcome and it sure doesn't hurt to experiment, "film" is free.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:41 PM   #8

I use that ALOT with my 75-300 M. Zuiko. Shutter Priority at 1/1000 second (even faster if the light is good) with auto ISO set to range between 200-1600.

With the manual lens, you'll really be in manual mode since the camera will not be able to select the aperture. As long as the auto ISO range includes a value that'll give a good exposure with your settings you should be OK. You'll find out quick enough if it isn't with either too dark or too light an image.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:12 PM   #9

When I bought my first m4/3 camera (G1) I went crazy buying old vintage lenses. I already had some Pentax lenses from the old film days. They are certainly fun but eventually I realized that I had invested way too much money on lenses I did not even use that much (I actually never took any of my MF lenses with me on any trip). So, I decided to stop buying them and invest on dedicated m4/3 lenses instead and I'm very happy with my decision.

You've got some OK shots but I find them a bit too soft and the colors are washed out. I understand that for $40 it's a great deal but in the end, I don't believe you'd be too happy printing these pictures. That's my opinion, of course.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:15 PM   #10

I tend to agree with you Tulio but he may get a little better results shooting in bright sun with a higher shutter speed.