Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:41 PM   #1

Default The 45/1.8 Spring Colors

It does not come anywhere near being a "close-focusing" lens, but it can get close enough. If the new 75mm f1.8 has the same closest focus distance, it should be a really versatile lens.

E-P3 captured, processed in Lightroom 4.

At f4..

f2, and about a 15-20% crop..

f4 and, again, about a 15-20% crop..

f2 and a similar crop..

f2..

Just for kicks, three from the 25/1.4 today as well..

This was at f2.8. Got the depth I wanted, but it took a couple of shots to get the aperture right. I need to configure a button to do a depth of field check when using this lens..

f2, focus on the small group near and just below center..

f1.8, and it's pretty obvious where I was focusing..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2

....you know these are photos which I drool over, dontcha.

The tree, I've been trying to ID it but have not, do you know what it is?

I went to Village Creek Historical today and saw only one(1) Bluebonnet bloom. There are some plants, but few, maybe next week will see more blooming.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3

They were blooming like that over at Dogwood Canyon too. A guide told me the name, but I forgot.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:41 AM   #4

.....found the tree ID, It is Eastern Redbud.

The blooms before opening are intriguing to me and I find the tree in all our parks.

Once it blooms and later in the summer it becomes just a tree one walks by without much notice, but the flowering is outstanding as in your image above.

I made this last week & keeping watch for the full blooms.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:58 AM   #5

I don't need this lens...I don't need this lens...I don't need this lens...I don't need this lens...I don't...

OK, I've convinced myself this time...great shots, Greg.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:32 AM   #6

I need to configure a button to do a depth of field check when using this lens..

I though live view shows DOF??
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:55 AM   #7

It's hard to really tell with most micro lenses because the zooms that start at f3.5 and slow to f5.6 at the long end have a pretty deep depth of field from wide open all the time, so using depth of field preview does not make sense for the most part. It takes very little stopping down to completely maximize the depth of field, so depth of field preview for most micro lenses is really not necessary.

But when you start using these f2, f1.8 or f1.4 primes, it's easy to see the view previewed in the finder is with the lens wide open. I re-configured the FN2 button on my E-P3 to be a depth of field preview and the view changes, in some cases pretty dramatically, when I'm stopped down to f4 or smaller and press the button to check the depth of field with the 25/1.4. The camera's live view does display the changes in metering (brightening or darkening) as you open up and close the aperture, but the depth of field previewed is always with the lens wide open.

It should be relatively easy to see even with a kit lens if you do the following experiment. Set your camera up with a subject at a distance close to the closest distance the lens can focus. Open the lens to wide open and check the view. Then, change your camera to aperture priority, stop the lens down to f8 or, better, f11 and see the view in two ways. First, just look through the finder as you normally would. Then, enable the depth of field preview. The subject front to back sharpness should change pretty dramatically when you enable depth of field preview stopped down to a small aperture like f11 at this close a distance even with the kit lenses.

At normal working distances, the change is much less dramatic until you start working with lenses that can be opened up as wide as f1.8 or f1.4.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Oh my, what great shots. That lens (and your abilities) captures magnificent images. Very jealous.
I have programmed the "video" button as my depth of field preview on my E-PL1 but I just keep forgetting about it -- until I get back home and look at the images. Argh. I have been using my Micro Nikkor again and it made me realize how much one appreciated the lens distance and DOF markings on the lens.
We have an Eastern Red Bud in our yard--in about twenty years it should put on quite the display. Wonder what camera I will be using then...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:32 PM   #9
gordymohr

these shots are really great, the 2nd one is Killer!

are these hand-held or tripod? I held the ep3 in my hand last week and was impressed by the quality feel of it
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:53 PM   #10

Thanks.

All handheld.