Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:45 PM   #1

Default E-PL2 Has Me Concerned

Today, all my pics were washed out just like the pic below. I see on the Exif data that my metering was set to spot Hi. I wouldn't think that should cause the pics to be washed out. I do not know how it got set to spot Hi because I normally keep it on center weighted. Also, how do I look at Exif data without having to go or upload the pic to Flickr? Thanks

Washed out pic by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:54 PM   #2

Well I found out how it got set to spot Hi. If you don't hit enter when/after making a change, it's very easy to change the parameters with the thumbwhell and the camera will have it's way with you.

Last edited by James Emory; Mar 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:48 PM   #3

Yes, James. You've discovered one of the very few "gotchas" in the E-PL2: the thumbwheel is much too easy to move inadvertently. Only way I've found to avoid such problems is to be very careful with it. Sooner or later that will become second nature... almost.

As to EXIF data, you can see most of it on playback. Just select the shot you want to view, then hit the Info button to change the display. It will cycle through several views, one of which includes EXIF for shutter speed / aperture / metering mode, etc.

If you've already transfered the file to your computer, you can complete EXIF data by dragging the jpg file to EXIF Viewer (on Mac), which is available here...
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13951/exif-viewer

or for Windoze avvailable here...
http://download.cnet.com/Exif-Viewer...-10686903.html
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Today, all my pics were washed out just like the pic below. I see on the Exif data that my metering was set to spot Hi. I wouldn't think that should cause the pics to be washed out.
Well.. if you metered on that dark window, that would explain it. If you meter on a darker subject, that can cause overexposed images (because it's trying to make the metered area exposed more like mid gray). The opposite can occur if you meter on a lighter area (resulting in an underexposed image). You also may want to check and make sure you didn't have a +EV setting being used with Exposure Compensation causing it.

There's no EXIF in that image (it's been stripped out, even looking at the large size I see on Flickr). If you used Save for Web with something like Photoshop, that would have stripped it out (to keep it, use Save As instead).

Quote:
Also, how do I look at Exif data without having to go or upload the pic to Flickr?
There are many Exif readers around. Most image viewers and editors can see it. But, some do a better job than others at interpreting the proprietary maker notes that camera manufacturers include in an image's metadata (and some editors strip out some of that info, even when they leave the Exif).

If you're using Windows, I'd install PhotoME (and it will run under Wine in linux, too). It's more comprehensive than most (giving you lens info, focus points and more with many cameras). IOW, it's much better at interpreting the proprietary makernotes than a lot of other Exif readers.

http://www.photome.de/home_en.html

Get it here (and personally, I just use the beta version, which is the first download link):

http://www.photome.de/download_en.html

PhotoME will work as a stand alone application. But, after you install PhotoME, you can also install a Firefox extension that lets you load it from within Firefox after you right click on an image. Get that extension for it here:

http://www.photome.de/firefox_en.html

Another very good Exif Reader that's better at interpreting the proprietary makernotes compared to most others is ExifTool by Phil Harvey. It's not a browser plugin, but it's a really nice tool for seeing a lot of metadata in images.

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

You can also find a GUI front end for it if you're using Windows:

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/f...6ce43205a3c949

If you want a browser plugin only (where you can "right click" on an image and select an option to see Exif info about it when browsing using Firefox), then I'd look at Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin. It's cross platform and works in Firefox under any supported Operating System (Linux, OS X, Windows, etc.).

It won't give you as much information as the others I've mentioned (those are good about interpreting a lot of proprietary makernotes metadata instead of Exif info only). But, it's very good for seeing what you probably want to know about images you're browsing online. You an also load a local file using Firefox (just select "File>Open File" and browse for one). Then, right click on it from the browser window it's displayed in, and use the menu choice to View Exit Data with Alan Raskin's Exif Reader installed.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...n/exif-viewer/

Another way to see Exif info is using Jeffrey's Exif Viewer. Because it's an online viewer, you don't need to install anything to use it if you have a web browser with internet access.

http://regex.info/exif.cgi
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:02 AM   #5

Geez, thanks JimC.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:09 AM   #6

I downloaded the PhotoMe Beta version, works great, easy to use. Thanks again, much appreciated. As to your EV question, the EV was set on 0.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
... Also, how do I look at Exif data without having to go or upload the pic to Flickr? Thanks
Just about any photo editor will read the EXIF information. The thing is, not all EXIF extractors provide the same amount of information. Picasa for instance, lists some fields but many are missing. I've been using ExifTool for years and IMO it's the best exif extractor, particularly for Oly cameras because the guy who wrote it did it for Oly cameras. Even though the software works with any camera, it provides much more information if the camera is Olympus. This tool has helped me tremendously over the years with camera settings.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8

James, you can also use the software Oly shipped with the camera. For windows it was "ib" (who came up with that name?) and on the mac Olympus Master 2. Master 2 has been updated and replaced with Viewer. I use Master 2 for downsizing images and keeping the full exif data.

Your shot is well exposed for a hi-key shot -- just enough blacks but then really skewed to the lighter side of things. The manual really does not get into when to use this setting -- think of it for say shooting white kittens with white toilet paper on a white seamless background
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:33 AM   #9

Thanks Tulio, I'll Google Exiftool and see what i come up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Just about any photo editor will read the EXIF information. The thing is, not all EXIF extractors provide the same amount of information. Picasa for instance, lists some fields but many are missing. I've been using ExifTool for years and IMO it's the best exif extractor, particularly for Oly cameras because the guy who wrote it did it for Oly cameras. Even though the software works with any camera, it provides much more information if the camera is Olympus. This tool has helped me tremendously over the years with camera settings.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:37 AM   #10

Red face

Yes, all the manual states is that spot HI preserves bright objects or something like that and the spot SH works the same way only for dark subjects. I doubt I'd ever use either of those. As for the Oly software, I really didn't care for it too much after coming off the Canon DPP software. I figured if I was going to learn a new software program, I'd learn one (PSE 10) that would give me the most flexibility in editing. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
James, you can also use the software Oly shipped with the camera. For windows it was "ib" (who came up with that name?) and on the mac Olympus Master 2. Master 2 has been updated and replaced with Viewer. I use Master 2 for downsizing images and keeping the full exif data.

Your shot is well exposed for a hi-key shot -- just enough blacks but then really skewed to the lighter side of things. The manual really does not get into when to use this setting -- think of it for say shooting white kittens with white toilet paper on a white seamless background