Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Small Clump of Flowers, and other misc...

The last couple of days I've been using my E-P3 and the three primes (12mm f2, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8) in manual exposure mode. I've rarely done this since the day I gave up my last film camera, a Nikon F2AS, back in 2004.

The EVF actually makes using manual mode very easy with the live histogram and watching everything brighten and/or darken as you change the settings. Manual mode makes keeping as much as possible within the histogram extremes much easier than program mode, which is always trying to even everything out, often resulting in gross under or overexposures in tricky lighting, forcing the user to deal with a combination of variables, including exposure compensation, spot metering and the exposure lock. I may just keep the mode setting dial on "M" for a while.

Back to the main subject line, here's two different views of a small clump of flowers I ran into this evening as I was walking the creekside. First, with the 25mm f1.4 Panny/Leica..

Of course, I then had to move in and find a smaller portion with the 45/1.8 Zuiko..

Some additional images from yesterday morning along Turtle Creek in Dallas. All shot in manual mode and processed in Lightroom 4.

The 25/1.4..

Some relatively strong backlight, with the 45/1.8 Zuiko..

12mm f2 Zuiko..

25/1.4..

All new growth, with the 45/1.8..

Another with the 45/1.8..

Last image, with the 45/1.8, watching through the EVF as I adjusted the exposure manually made maximizing the colors here without clipping the extremes a piece of cake..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:51 PM   #2

....very nice, I wish I knew about doing that. Seems I am becoming more a 'P' shooter (PUN INTENDED).

Really, I sometimes try but get lost in the dials spinning more often than not.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:45 AM   #3

I've not done it enough that the dials are just automatic. Sometimes I start twisting the top dial when it's really the shutter speed (Lower dial) I meant to use, but after a couple of days of constant use, it's getting to be second nature to do them both in pretty rapid fashion with just my right thumb. Not as convenient as the combination front/back dials of a DSLR (or the E-M5) that you can use at the same time with separate fingers, but at least the E-P3 does have two dials, which speeds the process up considerably compared to the E-PL2 and E-PL1.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:49 AM   #4

Interesting collection of shots. I like the 45/1.8 Zuiko sharpness and colors.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:38 AM   #5

It is, one sharp lens. As good as any Digital Zuiko, Four-Thirds or Micro Four-thirds, as I have owned....and tiny. It lacks ED elements so in really strong backlight can display some strong chromatic aberrations that checking the fix chromatic aberrations box in Lightroom's development window corrects very effectively.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:42 AM   #6

Nice shots. Gotta love all that green.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:38 PM   #7

Bob....tell us you're OK. Looks like a tornado just went right through your area.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8

.....about 1/2 mile away, across the street from Kennedale high school.

We are ok, no damage. Lots of damage all around us, our neighborhood has no damage, very lucky with this storm set.

When one sees the truck trailers flying at 100+ feet high the story is told.....

Our granddaughter's in-law's home was hit, roof is bad while a house across their street disappeared into a heap of trash....... Green Oaks and Waterview St, 2-miles north of us.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:55 PM   #9

Greg, glad you are rediscovering the Manual Mode. And really, with the spring you are capturing and the resulting images, why shift from manual. Though the buttons/dials are not as intutitive as on our 35mm slrs, it does not take long to come to terms with the operation. Manual on my E-PL1 is my happy spot.

But if such great early spring scenes come the chance a tornado, I'll be happy to wait another month for our blossoms. Glad to hear our Texas friends are safe.

Oh, a quick image from our spring, one of my prized daylilies, Hemerocallis Bess Ross
Attached Images

KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:54 AM   #10

Glad you're okay, Bob!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote