Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Default Fun with Light and Shadows

Been enjoying the last hour or so of the day the past couple of days with the E-P3, 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4 and 45/1.8, trying to capture, then process relatively high contrast images in Lightroom 4 that come as close as possible to what I saw, knowing there's really no way to show the full gamut of light levels, but you can do surprisingly well and it is a great way to learn the limits of your equipment and how to expose a tricky lighting scene with an idea in mind of what you will be doing with the file later to maximize the possibilities.

Of course, there is a price to pay, and the price is, HUGE files. This first image, captured with the 25/1.4, came out of Lightroom 4 at a whopping 17.03MB saving at a 95% level....and this was not the biggest..

The 45/1.8, at 10.31MB..

A lovely couple soaking in the last rays, with the 45/1.8 (11.36MB)..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:02 AM   #2

I'm in LUV with the 1st shot!
The 4th is nice to...great job dude!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:52 AM   #3

I like the water scene in the fourth shot and Greg's home in the sixth shot.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like the water scene in the fourth shot and Greg's home in the sixth shot.
That's a winner folks .

I couldn't afford the annual property taxes on that home, much less the price .
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Geez Greg, with all that high end camera gear you have I thought for sure that was your home and you were just showcasing it.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6

Ah, the spring greenery, #2 is my favourite. Love the fact you have captured the underside of the leaves as well. The cool green of the tops and the warm underside -- nice.
On the shot of your cottage, I would have prefered taking the image into photoshop and painting out the nose of that car, maybe paint in one of your horse shots, just the nose...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7

On the shot of your cottage, I would have prefered taking the image into photoshop and painting out the nose of that car, maybe paint in one of your horse shots, just the nose...

I love it!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Nice series, Greg. Some of the shots could be a bit brighter but I can very well be the monitor I'm using (I'm on a business trip using a crappy old monitor).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #9

They look darker on my home monitor than they do here at the office.

The dynamic range captured was well short of what I actually saw in many of these. I chose to expose for the highlights and raise the shadows as best as possible in Lightroom 4, which does it very well, but short of doing some bracketed shots and layering them together (not an HDR fan anyway), there was no way I was going to be able to bring out the very darkest areas in some of the images.

Where I did better was in using the 25mm 1.4 to single out smaller areas, like that first image. When I used the wider 12mm f2, the area captured had a much wider dynamic range and was more problematic in processing for the shadows. Since I was not using a tripod, doing any bracketing was pretty much out.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:18 PM   #10

I've been using SPOT metering almost exclusively lately. I move the camera around until I get the exposure I like (gotta love the EVF for that) then I lock it, recompose and shoot. It can be a bit time consuming but I always end up with a good exposure. Of course sometimes the contrast is too great and difficult for the camera to balance the bright and dark areas so something has to give. But, overall I find this method of exposure to work best. This method also works great when shooting with flash.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote