Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11

Bob - I am working on your suggestions, post processing is still very much a learning curve using Olympus viewer, I keep toying with the idea of getting something different, I noted that you use Corel, I think I have a copy of their paint shop pro, perhaps it is similar to the one you use? do you find it intuitive as the Olympus viewer is not very user friendly imho. I've read that post processing is an art form in and of itself which I need to learn.

Tullio - I bought the 14mm specifically for this trip since I knew I'd want to be as wide as possible. It is also an amazing bargain as far as mft primes go readily found for $160 on grey market direct from S. Korea. On the subject of primes I am planning on skipping the 20mm in favor of the 25mm when I get the chance although I am very attracted by the 45mm Olympus as well, these will be my next two primes, just not sure the order.

We did a slot canyon tour outside Page, AZ and I also used the 14mm, finding it was the only way to capture the beauty of this space even though it was confined the 14mm did a great job of bringing out the colors of the stone in the various shades between dark and light, this shot is without any post processing.

P4232319 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Here's another shot outside Sedona from the parking lot of the chapel of the holy cross, 14mm.

sedona redrock from chapel of the holy cross 20120426 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:26 PM   #12

My old Pentax Spotmatic F was really easy to focus quickly and sharply.The Super Takumar Lenses weren't too shabby either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I've had a Praktica (first SLR), Olympus, Pentax and Ricoh and like the Ricoh best. It had an innovative mirror design, which reduced the vibration caused by the mirror when it flipped. It was almost totally silent. It had a duo-focus prism: split circle and blurriness...it was impossible to miss focus between the two. IMO, a much more efficient system than the current focus assist systems which enlarges the image. IQ was also excellent. If I can still find film and a place to have it developed, I'm going to buy one and try to see how IQ compares with my m4/3 system. Ah, I might have to find battery as well...that might not be so difficult.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:28 PM   #13

Love those two photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Bob - I am working on your suggestions, post processing is still very much a learning curve using Olympus viewer, I keep toying with the idea of getting something different, I noted that you use Corel, I think I have a copy of their paint shop pro, perhaps it is similar to the one you use? do you find it intuitive as the Olympus viewer is not very user friendly imho. I've read that post processing is an art form in and of itself which I need to learn.

Tullio - I bought the 14mm specifically for this trip since I knew I'd want to be as wide as possible. It is also an amazing bargain as far as mft primes go readily found for $160 on grey market direct from S. Korea. On the subject of primes I am planning on skipping the 20mm in favor of the 25mm when I get the chance although I am very attracted by the 45mm Olympus as well, these will be my next two primes, just not sure the order.

We did a slot canyon tour outside Page, AZ and I also used the 14mm, finding it was the only way to capture the beauty of this space even though it was confined the 14mm did a great job of bringing out the colors of the stone in the various shades between dark and light, this shot is without any post processing.

P4232319 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Here's another shot outside Sedona from the parking lot of the chapel of the holy cross, 14mm.

sedona redrock from chapel of the holy cross 20120426 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:13 PM   #14

Thanks James - I should add that the second one (Sedona) was aided by a Hoya CPL filter. I was lucky enough to score an unopened but used introductory set in 52mm for under $20. 52mm is the thread of the Panasonic 45-200mm, my largest thread mft lens. I then grabbed a step up ring 46 --> 52mm to allow the 52mm filters on the Panasonic 14mm, giving me flexibility to use the filters on both lenses, the step up ring also adds a little bit of a hood when the filter is not in use. Here's another from the church of the holy cross vantage point

Sedona Red Rock from holy cross with Clouds 20120426 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:59 AM   #15

Agree with James, those two photos are special.

I also appreciated your comments on the 14 with step up ring and the 45-200. I have the 14 and just ordered the 45-200 last night ($199 from Amazon).
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Agree with James, those two photos are special.

I also appreciated your comments on the 14 with step up ring and the 45-200. I have the 14 and just ordered the 45-200 last night ($199 from Amazon).
MacBook,

Thanks for checking them out. Glad the tip on the step up ring also was useful, definitely a good way to keep costs and bulk to a minimum, only downside is that the step up ring plus CPL is almost as thick as the tiny pancake 14mm, that's okay though as it is still very compact

here's a couple more nice ones from the slot canyon, if there is one thing I can say about this lens is that it has wonderful color imho.

P4232322 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P4232334 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Another sunrise shot, f7.1 with saturation boosted in post processing

P4232223_saturation_boosted by ramcewan, on Flickr

Glen Canyon from the Colorado river, the rock at the far end is 2 miles away believe it or not and the canyon walls are nearly 1,000 feet tall. The CPL was in use on this shot as well.

P4242620 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:29 PM   #17

Great shots. I especially like 223 and 620. By the looks of those numbers you must have been blazing away. Indeed the color looks great with that lens. Did you add any PP saturation to the two pics above?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:36 PM   #18

James, I certainly was blazing away the whole vacation taking about 8GB worth of shots, I had the camera with me at all times along with my monopod which I found essential in the slot canyon as the exposure times were relatively long.

no post processing on 223 and 620 although 620 had the CPL on.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:47 PM   #19

Well you did well. I've always believed that you do not need a 2,000 dollar camera to take good photos, technique is equally important. For example, I shot this back in 2007 with a 100 dollar Canon point and shoot.

Cowboy Pocus by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old May 2, 2012, 6:10 AM   #20

Great shots added. I love the colors, the detail, and the contrast.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote