Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 16, 2012, 3:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
They don't appear over sharpened to me, just beautiful detail.
Thanks James.

You will a lot of fun with the 35mm macro. Very versatile and extremely sharp.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 3:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Thanks Greg, Bob, and James,

One thing I noticed is that the photos look a bit over sharpened to my eyes. This is interesting as they don't look nearly as sharpened on my IMac. I know both you, Bob and you, Greg use Smugmug to post. Does Smugmug do any sharpening of any sort after your files are downloaded???

Zig
Yes, Smugmug does add a default amount of sharpening. You can go into the folder details, at the bottom of the same page where you can do other stuff like add a password, make a folder public or private or change the image sizes people can see, and turn it off. I typically do turn their sharpening off.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 5:21 PM   #13

....I set the option for print-time 'color correction' to system wide 'OFF' in the (home page, control-panel, settings) then the default in the 'gallery settings' default is to 'system-wide' OFF from the control-panel settings option.

For sharpening, I have never found an option for adding or not adding sharpening to the uploaded files.......... only the print-time color corrections, which may be it depending on definition, don't know

But Zig, here on the iMAC 27 your images look absolutely perfect for color density, clarity and sharpness, I would wish for mine to be the same fine quality as these appear to me.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 5:33 PM   #14

Pretty tough to beat those Mac monitors for picture quality.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:14 PM   #15

James, the iMACs have remarkably good displays, I also have an iPAD-3 which is even better.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:24 PM   #16

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Had a chance to go out this afternoon after the rain stopped and take a few images of rhododendrons that grow in our neighborhood. They are Hybrid rhododendrons cultivated by a neighbor who has passed away. His home and backyard were on the National Rhododendron tour each year because of the variety of plants growing on his property.

Here are only a few. I'll try and get some more tomorrow

unprocessed original of 1st image

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:36 PM   #17

.....awesome images. Zig, were these off the tripod with cable shutter release?

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 17, 2012, 4:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....awesome images. Zig, were these off the tripod with cable shutter release?
Thanks Bob,

These days the camera is pretty much mounted on a CF tripod. I've been reluctant to drag a pod with me but, there is no arguing that the images come out sharper. I don't have a cable release for the E-P2. In those situations where I'm using very slow shutter settings I just use a 12 sec delay.

Zig

Old May 17, 2012, 7:17 AM   #19

I need to get a better monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
James, the iMACs have remarkably good displays, I also have an iPAD-3 which is even better.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:26 PM   #20

Zig...

I've been admiring your macro photos (and re-reading this thread) for the past week or so and just love your images. Gotta ask: are they processed in any way and if so, with what software? They are just so incredibly sharp.

I've been dabbling with macro for a couple of months using my legacy Minolta glass with a Minolta Auto Bellows III mounted (via MC/MD adapters) to an Olympus E-5, E-PL2, E-PM1 and Panasonic G2. In all cases my results are much softer than yours, due I would imagine to the soft performance of these lenses on 4/3 and m4/3 (MC Rokkor 35mm f/2.8, MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 and MC Rokkor 135mm f2.8).

They're all great for some uses, but don't seem to be so great for macro shots, and that's an area I'd like to pursue. (They looked absolutely fantastic on film! But I don't shoot film anymore.)

The 35mm is the sharpest of the bunch, but focusing distance is only about an inch, so not very useful outside very carefully controlled situations.

My Olympus 70-300 seems to out-perform the Minoltas in sharpness, but it's just a close-focusing tele, not a true macro lens.

My dilemma is the age-old budget/quality trade off, and that's why the Oly 35mm becomes very interesting. I'm shopping for a macro lens that will deliver super-sharp images. The Pana/Leica 45mm macro is beyond my means and, while I've considered the Oly 50mm f/2, I'm really intrigued by the 35mm after seeing your shots.

I know, maybe I should just get one... after all, how can you go wrong for only $200? But something (don't know what) is holding me back.

Would love to hear that your shots are not processed (!), but will be interested to hear how you do it, if they were.

Thanks for reading!