Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 20, 2012, 5:43 PM   #21

James, which adapter did you get? The Viltrox? I'm curious as to how fast you'll find AF to be with this lens.

Yes Zig, I got the Viltrox but still waiting for it. I will post comments and pics of my experience with the Oly 35mm macro.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:21 AM   #22

Great shots, Zig. The problem with tripods is that you get used to the sharpness you get and then the IQ when shooting handheld becomes almost unacceptable.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 5:17 PM   #23

The Viltrox adaptor finally arrived today. I didn't have much time to play with it other than making sure it worked and taking two shots of flowers on the deck. Will post again in a day or two with pics and my thoughts of the lens and adaptor. It does appear to focus right on the money with the Viltrox. The colors also appear quite nice with the 35mm macro.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Great shots, Zig. The problem with tripods is that you get used to the sharpness you get and then the IQ when shooting handheld becomes almost unacceptable.
Thanks, but these days the tremor in my right hand is such that, either a monopod or tripod is mandatory. I can get away with high shutter speeds using the Nikon, but, shooting flowers with the E-P2, my shutter speeds are so low that I can't hold the camera still enough to prevent blur.

Not complaining, mind you, just a part of life.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 6:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The Viltrox adaptor finally arrived today. I didn't have much time to play with it other than making sure it worked and taking two shots of flowers on the deck. Will post again in a day or two with pics and my thoughts of the lens and adaptor. It does appear to focus right on the money with the Viltrox. The colors also appear quite nice with the 35mm macro.
Hi James,
Glad your adapter finally arrived. Looking forward to your observations and images.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 6:35 PM   #26

Look forward to seeing how the adapter works out, James. Sounds promising out of the box.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 7:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
good to hear
Old May 25, 2012, 8:10 PM   #28

James, which seller did you buy the adapter from? It's always good to have a referral. I have a couple of MF macro lenses (one being the excellent Vivitar 55mm) but it is real hard to shoot macro with those big and heavy MF lenses. The Zuiko 35mm + Viltrox adapter sound like a winner combo. looking forward to seeing your pictures and read your impressions of both the lens and the adapter!

Tullio
Old May 26, 2012, 12:12 PM   #29

Tulio, here is the link where I bought the adaptor. They list it in black but when I got mine it was only available in silver. Might want to ask them first before ordering. I don't find the silver to be unlikeable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160713761164...84.m1439.l2649

I'll post the first pic I took with the new 35m macro and Viltrox adaptor, hand held with no PP done. This photo was shot at 1/100, f4.5, 0 EV, ISO 200, AF on. Keep in mind it was a rush job so I could see if the system/adaptor worked before I had to leave. I can see where the EV could be lowered a bit and single box focusing used but in too big a hurry to check everything over before shooting.

P5240313 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; May 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 12:19 PM   #30

Thanks for the link, James. Your picture shows how sharp this lens is. It also shows how shallow the DoF is at f4.5. Sometimes, unless you are trying to really emphasize a very specific spot on the subject, you might find it easier to get what you want in focus if you increase the DoF by reducing the aperture to f8.0.

Tullio