Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2012, 10:18 AM   #11

Wow, I love #1.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #12

My 35mm macro should be here today and it will be interesting to see if I get the same results as you. Oops, the adaptor is coming from China and I doubt like hell that will be here today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
A word about the use of FourThirds vs MicroFourThirds lenses.

The MicroFourThirds cameras all employ Contrast Detect Auto Focus CDAF while the FourThirds camera bodies all use Phase Detect Auto Focus or PDAF.
While it is true that you can easily use a FourThirds lens on a Micro Four Thirds body with the aid of the proper adapter, that does not mean that the lens will perform as quickly as one designed for the MicroFourThirds bodies.

Granted, there is a greater lens selection in FourThirds. But, generally, the full size lens will focus slower than one designed for MFT. Now, this may not be an issue for a particular style or type of photography. It may be factor to you if you are going to shoot videos. This is especially true in the earlier Pen bodies i.e. E-PL1 and E-P2.

As an example, I use a 35mm macro Four thirds lens on my E-P2. I use this combo primarily to shoot flowers. The lens has a nasty habit of zooming in and out until it finally finds focus. Now, since my subject is static, it is not an issue for me. But, to some, it may become a nagging issue.

The greatest benefit of using full size FourThirds lenses on MicroFourThirds bodies are for those who already have an investment in lenses and are migrating to MFT. If you're not in that situation, then I don't think an advantage exists.

Zig
Old May 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #13

I recommend the panasonic 14mm f2.5 for landscapes, it is much better than the kit lens at 14mm.

Since you are hiking i would highly recommend a monopod and a ball head. Tripods are great and all but hiking you can use the monopod as a trekking pole and if you see a beautiful landscape, swing the camera bag around, pull out the camera and with a quick release plate be shooting in seconds. Want to shoot potrait thats where the ball head comes in. On my trip to the grand canyon i used my monopod all the time and the tripod only for a sunset. Leki makes a monopod/ trekking pole set, throw in a bogen ball head and quick release you are good to go.

Since you said money is no object....

I would also grab a fast prime like the panasonic 20 or 25 and the olympus 45. Throw in the olympus 75-300 or panasonic 45-200 for wildlife and leave the kit lens home....
Old May 18, 2012, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I recommend the panasonic 14mm f2.5 for landscapes, it is much better than the kit lens at 14mm.
THANK YOU for saying that. I just impulse-bought a 14mm online . . .
Old May 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for the advice

On tripods/monopods: I already have a pair of trekking poles, so I was thinking of buying a camera mount for one of them. Something like this would do the job: http://www.trekmount.com/

There also is a mount called a stickpic, which is interesting, but more so if you want to take photo and video of yourself along the trail: http://www.thestickpic.com/
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice

On tripods/monopods: I already have a pair of trekking poles, so I was thinking of buying a camera mount for one of them. Something like this would do the job: http://www.trekmount.com/

There also is a mount called a stickpic, which is interesting, but more so if you want to take photo and video of yourself along the trail: http://www.thestickpic.com/
I question the stability of the trekmount with anything more than a P&S. If you don't mind a little alteration you can probably pretty easily add a threaded mount to your existing poles - I had a discussion about it here;

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...e-monopod.html

I never ended up doing it as I found a bogen manfrotto monopod with ball head for $25, so I can't report on the results.

I also wanted to add on the lenses that I cannot comment on the Olympus 9-18mm as I have never used it. I have used the 14mm and really liked it. I think the Olympus 9-18mm is probably more versatile but I would be worried about the somewhat slow f4.0 max aperture as compared to the 14mm f2.5 Panasonic. I got some really nice shots with the Panasonic wide open, granted for a traditional landscape you would be shooting at around f5.6, but for some shots such as when I was in a slot canyon in Arizona f2.5 produced vivid colors.

SammyKhalifa - it is a remarkable bargain of a prime lens. A little wide for general use but for big landscapes it works well, here's a link to some shots I did with the 14mm

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...nd-canyon.html
Old May 18, 2012, 1:12 PM   #17

I have the 14mm and like it better than the 20mm, which i had it for a month and returned. I also have the 14-45mm kit lens that came with my G1 and to be honest, I see no difference between it at 14mm and the prime 14mm. The advantage of the 14mm is that it is a bit faster and of course, much smaller and lighter. However, it is nice to have the 14-45mm range available at your fingertip.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 1:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I have the 14mm and like it better than the 20mm, which i had it for a month and returned. I also have the 14-45mm kit lens that came with my G1 and to be honest, I see no difference between it at 14mm and the prime 14mm. The advantage of the 14mm is that it is a bit faster and of course, much smaller and lighter. However, it is nice to have the 14-45mm range available at your fingertip.
Yeah, I'm a little worried that I won't notice that much of a difference between using that and the kit lens I already have. Ha, I guess I'll find out . ..

Thanks everyone (and sorry to hijack).
Old May 18, 2012, 1:51 PM   #19

not to go too much further off topic but just to clarify I was comparing the Olympus 14-42mm II MSC f3.5-5.6 ED M. Zuiko Digital kit lens at 14mm to the Panasonic 14mm f2.5. For me there is a noticeable difference. Not saying the Olympus 14-42mm II MSC f3.5-5.6 ED M. Zuiko Digital kit lens is bad at all, I am just saying I have no regrets buying the 14mm and using it over the kit lens for landscapes.

Maybe the Panasonic kit is better than the Olympus? IDK but when the requirement includes low light the difference in speed between f3.5 and f2.5 is not inconsequential.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:59 PM   #20

Ramcewan, thanks for the advice and the link to those photos. I'd see them before but didn't realize that it was the Panasonic 14mm. I think I might be sold on it, and I can bring the kit lens along if I want to use zoom.

I've been reading the reviews on the other panasonic lenses, and of course everyone seems to be sold on the 7-14 (probably too expensive for me) and the 20mm and the 25mm get great reviews, but those wouldn't suit my needs for this trip, although I'd like to get the 25mm later on.

Most of the trip in Corsica is in valleys and on ridges, so I'm really looking for something that captures great expanses.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote