Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2012, 2:03 PM   #21

I have the Olympus kit lens (like yours) along with a Panasonic 45-200 on my E-PL2. This is my first foray into prime lenses (or anything other than point-and-shoot, really). I guess I'm just curious if the upgrade will be lost on me (the kit lens already looks really good to me, haha). I am glad you mentioned that about the low-light difference--It's hard to know how big of a difference that makes as I don't have anything to judge it against.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 3:35 PM   #22

I have the 25mm and like it a lot. It's a bit pricey but it's certainly a great lens. The very first Lumix m4/3 kit lens (14-45mm) is probably if not the best one of the best kit lenses (including the newer models from Panasonic and Olympus). The Zuiko 14-42 that came with the EPL1 is much inferior. It's still a good lens but the 14mm is much better in terms of AF speed and IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 4:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
I'm planning a 110 mile hiking trip to Corsica for late summer and would like to purchase a new lens for the trip. While it is a backpacking trip, compactness isn't too much of a factor (I've taken the EP-L1 on several trips with the kit lens and it packs ok). It doesn't necessarily have to be a zoom lens. I can pack the zoom lens with me as well, but thats it as far as carrying camera gear (couple spare batteries of course).

I definitely would like something that works in low light (i.e. sunset pictures).

Price isn't too much of an issue. I'm probably going to upgrade the camera to the OM-D in the next year, so anything compatible would be another requirement, but I don't imagine that is an issue.
Size is never an issue......until it becomes an issue.

Since you have no Olympus DSLR and do not plan on a DSLR, Stick with the micro-specific lenses. The 9-18 in particular is tiny.....easy to have on you anywhere no matter the size bag you are carrying.

There are definitely a few options for low light, although sundown shots are not necessarily low light in terms of exposure, especially if you have a lens that'll go faster than the typical, slow f3.5-5.6 or so zoom. This image was captured at the base ISO 200 ISO using a 1/250 second shutter speed and f2.8 aperture using the 25mm f1.4 Panasonic/Leica. I love this lens..

Add the 12mm f2..

and the 45mm f1.8..

...and you've got yourself a pretty powerful, fast three lens setup that will all fit in a tiny bag. I carry those three lenses with my E-P3, everywhere, in a Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 8:42 PM   #24

Yeah, the Panasonic 25 and the Olympus 12mm are definitely on the future wish list. They seem to be the 2 must have lenses that everyone is going for, and with good results.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the Panasonic 14mm, because it is so small and cheaper. I'll put the other two lenses on the list and eventually get them, although getting the 12 mm will make the 14 mm a bit superfluous I imagine, other than the size advantage.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 8:53 PM   #25

The Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is an excellent lens. I'm pretty sure it is the smallest micro four-thirds lens. Tiny, and optically very nice. Chromatic Aberrations can be a little high and Olympus bodies do not correct it, but most programs today handle it pretty easily. As you said, I've used mine very little since getting the 12mm f2.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 9:28 PM   #26

I would say that any m43 prime, except apparently the olympus 17mm, will be a good choice. As always shooting style and budget are the biggest deciders. Look at the shots you have take so far with your kit lens, which focal lengths do you use and like most?

The 12 or 14 will give you wide landscapes with bright color due to the large apertures available, but when it comea to street shooting you will need to crop, so in thia respect they are limited. The 20 and 25 are not going to be as wide but will be more versatile for other things. The 45 sits at the opposite end, when i was recently in sedona az i found myself using my 45-200mm zoom at 45 for some landscapes as i wanted to frame a rock feature. Surely the olympus 45 1.8 would have done better than my zoom. Like i said if money was no object i would get the 45, 25, 14 or 12.

Also worth mentioning the rockinon fish eye folob uses to such great effect... very wide. But ewh that fisheye is too much for me
Old May 20, 2012, 11:14 AM   #27

The Zuiko 17mm is a nice little lens (underrated IMO). The thing is, it's slow compared with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and the 14mm f2.5. If this was a f2.0 lens, it would certainly be my preferred choice between the three. Price wise, the 14mm is the best deal. The only thing is, it's a bit too wide for many photo situations. If you take photos of people, you'll see some distortion that may not be very flattering. The same with architectural shots.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote