Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 18, 2012, 2:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
James is becoming nervous. His Viltrox adaptor is on the way....from China. Now I wish I would have bought the Oly refurb adaptor for 119.00.
Or better yet...a brand new Panasonic adapter for $113 (on Amazon). It works just like the Zuiko one. Then again, $62 is almost half the price...

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; May 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 3:16 PM   #12

Sigh......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Or better yet...a brand new Panasonic adapter for $113 (on Amazon). It works just like the Zuiko one. Then again, $62 is almost half the price...
Old May 24, 2012, 8:03 PM   #13

so I ended up sending it back and getting my money back plus money back for the return shipping, about that I can't complain at all. The seller seemed to think all of the units he had would be the same and didn't want to risk another round of shipping which is understandable.

Given this I went ahead and bought a used Panasonic DMW-MA1 on ebay for around $87. More than I had planned on spending but I guess I didn't have a choice since the Viltrox didn't work out for me.

James I hope you have better luck.

I wonder if there is any chance it is my camera? it being refurbished and all. I have on two occasions had a black screen because my Panasonic 14mm f2.5 didn't seat fully... but still it wasn't really loose as this adapter was... neways I guess I will find out when the Panasonic DMW-MA1 gets here
Old May 24, 2012, 11:07 PM   #14

Humm, considering that you've had those black screens before I tend to believe that the problem is with the camera rather than the adapter. Did you buy a refurbished unit or have you sent yours to be repaired? Unlike many people in this forum, I totally dislike buying refurbished cameras simply because the manufacturer does not disclaim what the problem was to begin with. It should not be hard to keep track of that. All they need to do is associate the serial number with the type of problem the camera has. I do hope that the Panasonic adapter works for you. Good luck.

Tullio
Old May 25, 2012, 7:55 AM   #15

hmm. yes we will see. The two times it happened was after changing lens so maybe it was a user error as well, the 14mm being so small it can be hard to get my flint stone like hands (according to my wife) to work well on it.

The Viltrox worked, but the side opposite the release button on the camera had some play and when it moved too far in one direction the screen flashed.

Given the adapter mounting plate did not line up to the mounts on my mFT lenses; the size of at two of the flanges was smaller on the Viltrox adapter then on the mFT lens mount, and I don't have any issues normally with my lenses and several MF adapters I am not going to worry about it until the Panasonic doesn't fit.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:59 AM   #16

Well, you won't have any problems with your MF adapters because they don't communicate with the camera in any way. One of my adapters has a looser fit but that does not cause any black screen because the camera does not know about it. The problem you are experiencing could very well be caused by the mounting ring on the camera itself...who knows. Keep us posted!

Tullio
Old May 25, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17

Hope it's just an isolated incident and my Viltrox adaptor will be fine.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:35 PM   #18

Well i got the panasonic adapter today, works perfectly!
Old May 29, 2012, 5:10 PM   #19

Good to hear! That means you camera is OK and the problem was indeed with the Viltrox adapter.

Tullio
Old May 29, 2012, 5:31 PM   #20

Yeah, the mount on the panasonic adapter is exactly the same as on my pansonic lens and fits snuggly. I think the viltrox adapters are just lower quality control and engineered to use less metal in the mount plate which may be sufficient most of the time but maybe combined with the heavy 70-300 lens and a contact a little shifted and it doesn't work right. Maybe only a few this happens to, either way i am glad the panasonic works.... hopefully i will get a chance before the weekend to use the 70-300 finally