Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 17, 2012, 4:14 PM   #1

Default screen flashing

I just got my 70-300mm FT lens and Viltrox JY-43F adapter

So far I am actually quite happy with the performance however I have found that when it is zoomed out to 300mm and I try to focus on a dark shadow area the EV-F on the LCD and the VF-2 start flashing black/image/black/image. zooming out it goes away - is this just the cameras way of telling me not enough light or is there something else going on.

Has anyone else seen this?
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2012, 4:44 PM   #2

oh well narrowed it down to the connection between the adapter and the camera... rrrr there is just enough play that when twisted counterclockwise the contacts must be doing something to cause it to flash - if i twist clockwise it is good again, the direction I turn to zoom out. I can avoid it with care but I guess the adapter will need to get returned
Old May 17, 2012, 5:49 PM   #3

.....yours is the second post I've read (the other on DPR) about the Viltrox adapter where the contacts can be out of alignment to the camera. This sounds like maybe a mfg quality issue while some users are reporting no problems.

I've an Olympus MMF-2 and never a problem, it fits camera and lenses quite tight.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 6:23 PM   #4

Bob,

Yes I saw that post on DPReview, it was posted today, seems a bad batch as all other posts have said it works well.

I have an email out to the seller. The seller has a 7 day return for refund or exchange policy.

I may try a replacement if the seller will let me get a refund later. Since so many others have reported no problem with the units I am tempted to write this off to a bad bunch.

Last edited by ramcewan; May 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 5:02 AM   #5

the seller got back to me and said they will swap it out for another one and if the one they swap it for doesn't fit they will give me my money back. Can't complain about that so we shall see how it goes... going to send it back today.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:46 AM   #6

Sorry to hear about all this hassle. It must be disappointing to say the least not to mention having to repack, mail, wait and hope the next one is OK. I've been debating whether to buy the adapter + Zuiko 70-300mm or the Lumix 100-300mm. I had the Zuiko lens a few years back and loved it. However, it's big and heavy compared against the Lumix and AF is slower. Also, since the G3 does not have IBIS the Zuiko lens would be harder to work with at 300mm. So, I think the Lumix is it for me.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 9:54 AM   #7

Tullio,

Thanks for your sympathy. Luckily the seller is in the USA and I received the adapter quickly. It is hard though having the 70-300mm here but no way to use it

on the 100-300mm I think it is probably the better choice for the G3 with OIS and all.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #8

James is becoming nervous. His Viltrox adaptor is on the way....from China. Now I wish I would have bought the Oly refurb adaptor for 119.00.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:01 PM   #9

James don't worry. If there's one thing I have learned in my nearly 10 years of ebaying is that the buyer protection will always favor the buyer. As a seller I have gotten burned by the buyer protection (item shipped, buyer declined insurance, item claimed broken on arrival - I lost the price plus shipping of the item) but as a buyer I have never gotten burned, I have opened a few "item not as described" cases but always ended up with a refund or the right thing. Most of the time, especially with the grey marketeers, the seller will work very hard to avoid bad feedback, these guys have a business selling on ebay and want to keep that going, you are worse off dealing with individual sellers who may be just selling the odd item here and there.

I fully expect I will have a fully functioning unit or my money back. Based on the numerous other folks who have had good luck with this unit and the way it is constructed I think it is just a few bad ones went out. I say this because the mounting plate is a separate part that is attached to the adapter by four screws. The contacts are actually part of the adapter. In other words to fix this one would only need to replace the mounting plate. This to me indicates that some bad mounting plates got into the parts bin. Probably a shoddy run on the milling machine.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:51 PM   #10

Thanks. I'm not worried about getting a replacement from this company as they have a very good rating. I just don't want to wait so long for the replacement should one be needed. But, if I want a good buy (62.00), I guess I'll have to live with it.