Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 21, 2012, 8:57 AM   #1

Default Focus Trap

Focus trapped this shot with my EPL-1 coupled with an adapter with variable aperture for my Nikon AF-S G lenses. I shot this a 1.8 with my 35mm Nikon. I do like how well this adapter works with all my Nikon glass. I have the other adapter that works great with my lenses that have the aperture ring. I will be trying out the movie mode with this set-up and am sure I will be happy with the results. I really like my EPL-1 and got a new body for $149.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2

nice job on the focus and welcome - the pen's make excellent platforms for legacy glass imho.

Which adapter are you using?

I have a Nikon F mount to micro four thirds adapter from rainbow imaging but it doesn't provide any communication with the camera as far as aperture, it sounds like you have found one that does?
Old May 21, 2012, 1:18 PM   #3

I do have the one by Rainbow Imaging and it does a great job with my lenses that have the aperture ring. The other Nikon lenses that don't I use one made by Fotodiox. It just has an open - close feature to change the aperture. Live view screen will give you an idea of how open or closed you want the aperture.
I did this manually like the one from Rainbow Imaging. No electronics. Good build quality and fits well. Not too tight or loose with either of them. I wanted to shoot with my 1.8 lenses and couldn't with the one with Rainbow Imaging.. well I could but not get that 1.8 that I can with the Fotodiox adapter.
I have more cameras than I have good sense but really like the PEN camera but couldn't justify spending on more lenses. I also have an adapter for my NX10, NX100.. still on the fence if I want to get the Fotodiox adapter for it though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 9:43 AM   #4

Can you explain how you "focus trap" with the EPL1? I had a Pentax K100D, which would focus trap when using MF lenses. However, I wasn't aware that the EPL1 would also allow that technique to be used. Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 1:37 PM   #5

I also am very interested in how you "focus trapped" this shot. I understand the concept but like Tulio did not think it a capability of the PEN cameras.

could you please describe more detail?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:52 PM   #6

It isn't. I tried everything I know of and could not get the focus to be trapped with any manual lens. The thing is, when you half press the shutter the green (focus) box flickers. Perhaps the OP thought that the focus had been trapped.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote