Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:08 AM   #21

Impressive shots....

I also have a om-d with the 12-50, I do not understand what the two buttons on the lens are for, could someone advise when and how to use please, when I press the "macro" button I do not see any difference at all, plus when I adjust the focusing band (as in push it up) it goes into a auto style find mode, yes I am a little confused by it.

I have done a search for info on this but failed to locate any clear cut instructions and Olympus do not have a manual for this lens.

Would appreciate any advice offered.

Thank you in advance.

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeston View Post
Impressive shots....

I also have a om-d with the 12-50, I do not understand what the two buttons on the lens are for, could someone advise when and how to use please, when I press the "macro" button I do not see any difference at all, plus when I adjust the focusing band (as in push it up) it goes into a auto style find mode, yes I am a little confused by it.

I have done a search for info on this but failed to locate any clear cut instructions and Olympus do not have a manual for this lens.

Would appreciate any advice offered.

Thank you in advance.
To put the camera into macro mode, hold down the macro button on the side and slide the band up.

The lens has three positions, up (in macro), middle is electronic zoom (note this is not autofocus, but just an electronic zoom) and back is the manual zooming of the lens, where you rotate it all the way one way in, and all the way the other way to zoom out.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:03 PM   #23

Nice shots, folob. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:54 PM   #24

Thank you very much Drew, most helpful.

Not one person in camera shop where I purchased it was able to tell me anything about lens as they have never had the stock to play around with.

Thank you again for your time.

EM-1 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150 f/4-5.6, 50-200mm SWD, MMF-3, EC-20
Leeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:39 PM   #25

L-N is a temporary suspension of the auto focus...I haven't used it yet. So you could focus it, hold it down and move the camera if you want and still take the shot without having to refocus again.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:44 PM   #26

Now that I have the E-M5, that function button on the 12-50 can be re-configured to do other things. I now have it set as a quick way to change ISO settings.

Take a look at these macro images captured with the 12-50...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=41863285
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Now that I have the E-M5, that function button on the 12-50 can be re-configured to do other things. I now have it set as a quick way to change ISO settings.

Take a look at these macro images captured with the 12-50...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=41863285
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't gotten around to customizing this yet but it was super easy to do. Just curious, what do you think are the most useful customizations for the fn1 and fn2 buttons? I'm not sure I'll ever use the fn1...it doesn't seem too conveniently placed, but fn2 I can see myself using.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:51 AM   #28

I have the fn2 button configured as my AE lock and the record button just behind it on the top deck is set to zoom the AF box in.

The fn1 is a little "hidden", but I do have it configured to toggle between AF and MF and will use it like a focus lock when I need it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote