Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 24, 2012, 8:52 AM   #1

Default New M.ZUIKO DIGITAL™ ED 75mm f1.8 High-Grade Portrait Lens

Announcement from Olympus about the new 75mm f1.8

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/o...o-four-thirds/

all I can say is wow that is fast for how long it is but the price will match at $900. I don't do portraits but I am sure this lens would be good at many things.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2012, 8:57 AM   #2

That is another one of the silver high end lenses. Very nice. And it is a good fl for m4/3
Old May 24, 2012, 9:35 AM   #3

yes it is a thing of beauty

Old May 24, 2012, 10:06 AM   #4

From everything I have read, it will be a match from a build quality standpoint to the 12mm f2, which is exquisite, and optically it's supposed to be the best Micro Zuiko, which would mean it's going to be very impressive.

I will be buying this lens before I pick up an E-M5.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Despite its quality, I think it's overpriced (maybe I'm just too poor for this hobby ). For less than half the price I can get the 45mm, which is also an excellent portrait lens. For me, 75mm is neither long enough nor wide enough for my shooting style. I would hardly use it...which is great...just saved me $900!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Using primes is definitely a game of mix and match. I often have the "problem" of try to decide between the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the PL 25mm f1.4. Keeping the bag as small as possible precludes taking both. Mixing them with the 12mm f2 and 45/1.8, the 20 actually makes more sense and takes up less room, allowing me to include the 7.5mm Rokinon in my Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag.

Once you add the 75/1.8 the question becomes, does it make sense to have both the 45 and 75? You can always crop 45mm files around 25%-30% and wind up with something close to the same field of view, but you can't crop in and gain the extra compression and narrower depth of field you'll get with the 75 wide open at f1.8.

In the end for me it all comes down to, how many lenses are you willing to deal with when out shooting, and in my case that number is three, whether it's the 12/25/45, 12/20/45, 7.5/12/45 or 12/25/75.

It'll be interesting to see how my upcoming trip goes. At 45mm this is, by far, the shortest tele option in a long time I have gone on a trip with, but the bag sure does feel great over my shoulder....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7

In my case, I like long zooms especially for shooting wild life and architecture. The 45-200mm works well and eliminates the need for the 45mm. The 20mm is a good compromise in terms of size, FL, speed and money but I like the 25mm better. It is not as wide but the camera meters better in high contrast situations (no blown highlights as I used to get with the 20mm) and f1.4 is certainly a huge plus when shooting in low light conditions (museums, dusk, dawn,...). So, I'm happy carrying the 14-45mm, 25mm and 45-200mm. Ah, and the Rokinon, which I have almost permanently attached to the EPL1 since the EPL1 has a slow AF system. This way, I don't need to bother dealing with it and it's one less lens to swap.

Tullio
Old May 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Yes, I like the 25/1.4 better, too . It is going. I just can't bring myself to use the 20/1.7 since getting the 25.

If this particular trip was with the photo club, it's be a no brainer. I'd take virtually every lens I have, including the 75-300 M. Zuiko and maybe even the 9-18 four-thirds Zuiko and 50mm f2 with the adapter and just live with the bigger bag.

We'll be jostling around in the Paris Metro system a lot, and indoors in museums and chateaus quite a bit, where my current telephoto options would be basically worthless dead weight, so the smaller the bag, the better and more secure, and I'll be needing the speed of the primes a huge portion of the time. It'll be interesting seeing how it works out.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9

I believe I'm in our boat Tulio, I may also be too poor for this hobby. As much as I would like this new lens I just cannot justify it based on my budget. Sigh....From what I have read, the silver 45mm is in the same quality class as the new 75mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Despite its quality, I think it's overpriced (maybe I'm just too poor for this hobby ). For less than half the price I can get the 45mm, which is also an excellent portrait lens. For me, 75mm is neither long enough nor wide enough for my shooting style. I would hardly use it...which is great...just saved me $900!
Old May 25, 2012, 12:46 PM   #10

I hear you, James. The 45mm would be much more useful for me but the 25mm pretty much covers all. A bit tight for real confined spaces but good for most landscaping, low light and portrait photo opportunities. That was already way out of my budget but I sold some MF lenses I had to subsidize the Leica. It was well worth it.

Tullio