Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 28, 2012, 8:37 PM   #1

Default EPL-1, OM 50mm, flower macro

I was fooling around with some macro shots using my old 50mm OM lens and some extension tubes. This was shot at f/11 trying to get as much depth of field as possible. I selected the angle of the shot to try to get the bug and the pistil in the focal plane. Serendipitously, I also got a little red mite in the focal plane (upper left).

This is the full frame, but I downsized it to 1008x756 pixels and compressed it to fit the forum limits of 1024 pixels and 253.9kb. I also increased the saturation and contrast just a bit.

The flower is a local wild flower called "cats ear", which is all over my yard right now.

This is my first attempt to post photos here, so we will see if I got it right.
Attached Images

D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2012, 5:52 AM   #2

Hi,
I'd say you got it quite right. Very nice image indeed.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 6:25 AM   #3

....hi DB,

As Zig said, you have it down ok. This is a really nice image of a wildflower I've never heard of. Interesting and the extra critters are always a bonus.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 9:37 AM   #4

Shooting macros with MF lenses is always very tricky but in a way, it gives the photographer a lot of control over the focus point. When shooting with AF macro lenses, most of the time the camera will focus on a spot that it is not quite what you have in mind. You did very good capturing what you intended.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 9:12 PM   #5

Really nice shot.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 9:28 PM   #6

That is a nice shot. The biggest devil for these shots is the wind, and it only takes a breath of wind to wildly swing the flower out of your focal plain.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7

My experience with legacy lens (Nikon F) is that the pictures always look a little washed out in term of reduced vibrancy and saturation.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 9:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
My experience with legacy lens (Nikon F) is that the pictures always look a little washed out in term of reduced vibrancy and saturation.
That is true most of the time. I do have two Chinon (Pentax K mount) lenses that produce real nice images and you can't tell they were taken with legacy lenses. I think this problem is much more evident with zoom legacy lenses (anything beyond 200mm).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 9:28 PM   #9

Thanks for all of your kind comments. I have been thinking about the options for macro photography, perhaps with a true macro lens. The recent announcement of the upcoming 60mm Olympus macro lens has piqued my interest, but the concerns about the auto focusing make me wonder if this is the best choice. I understand the new Oly 12-50 lens that comes on the OM-D has macro capabilities. That sort of duplicates the capabilities of the 14-42 kit lens on the EPL-1, but the macro function might persuade me to get it with the lens someday. Does anyone have experience with the macro capabilities of the 12-50?
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 9:36 PM   #10

D B ..... Greg Chappell has a 12-50 and has used it some in MACRO mode. Greg likely will respond if he sees this but for a few days Greg is on vacation and may not post for a short time.

Be sure to ask Greg his opinion when he returns. I believe the lens locks on at 45mm off the macro switch.

Just saw folob's post below............

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote