Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:44 AM   #1

Default Olympus 25mm f2.8 FT lens, opinions sought?

Looking for opinions or experience people may have had with this lens.

I feel this is a very nice FL and given the only other option is the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 which is $569 new and never offered used. Now that I have a FT -> MFT adapter for my 70-300mm I am considering the Olympus 25mm f2.8 at $249 or $189 refurbished or less used as a budget option to get a 25mm lens on my camera. I have a 24mm f2.8 Sigma super wide that I like the FL but it is nowhere near the sharpness of a MFT lens and obviously it is manual focus and manual aperture, not to mention it is huge with the adapter.

Wondering specifically about focus speed. the 70-300mm can be a little slow but it is also a big lens with the barrel turning to focus, I assume this one is internal focus and therefore probably pretty fast comparatively.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:17 PM   #2

In terms of IQ this lens is as good as the dedicated m4/3 one, just a bit slower. $249 is a great price for it. I would not buy a refurbished lens ever. I personally am not fond of refurbished anything, particularly lenses. But, the difference in price is significant so as long as you are OK with it, go for it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:59 PM   #3

In my experience, refurbished is as good as a new lens. These lenses are either factory demos or lenses that did not function out of the box and were sent in to the company for credit. I feel that these lenses, after being repaired, are gone over quite well to ensure that everything functions as it should. In this regard I am pretty comfortable with a refurbished lens or camera for that matter. My recent purchase of an Oly 35mm resulted in a lens that looks brand new and works great. And I saved 60 bucks in going that route. Oly still gives a one year warranty on the lens. Just my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
In terms of IQ this lens is as good as the dedicated m4/3 one, just a bit slower. $249 is a great price for it. I would not buy a refurbished lens ever. I personally am not fond of refurbished anything, particularly lenses. But, the difference in price is significant so as long as you are OK with it, go for it.