Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:12 PM   #1

Default My Set??? Confusing

I was looking on my menu today and the My Set feature on my EPL-2. The manual gives very little information on this. It says it can only be used on P, A, S, or M. How do you know what goes where? Say if I set my sharpness to +2 on My Set 1, which mode is this assigned to. I don't see any options on how to do this or any choices for that matter. Most camera manuals are just terrible.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:18 PM   #2

You should watch the following video (MySet talk starts around 20:30):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFFkZot24I

The MySets are carried across P, A, S, and M. i.e. MySet1 is the same in each of those modes. You don't have one MySet1 in P, and another MySet1 in M...it's the same saved settings in both.

Now some things may not be available, for instance if you are in manual mode set the shutter speed to 1/60 and aperture f/8 and save that to a MySet, if you are in Program mode of course the camera will override that. If you're in aperture mode and choose to load in that MySet it will set the aperture to f/8, and the shutter speed will be determined by the light level.

Does that clear things up?

Don't try to make MySet hard...it saves whatever settings you've set the camera to at that time.

Last edited by Mikefellh; Jun 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks Mike, I think you cleared it up. The speaker in the video really did not go into too much detail as far as showing you how to use it. He mentioned that these settings are stored for you to use at any time, but he didn't say what mode they would be available. So what I'm surmising from this is; whatever settings your camera is set at, pressing "set" on one of the My Sets will store that information into that My Set. Since the speaker didn't mention how to select a My Set to shoot with, I'm guessing you just go into the my set menu and select the my set you want to use. I really didn't see anywhere in the super control panel that allows you to select a my set so I'm guessing you have to go into the menu and select the my set you want to use, correct? The camera manual sure does not address anything in detail about My Set that's for sure.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:47 PM   #4

The MySets are four slots you can save most used settings to. I may have my studio settings saved to 1, my outdoor saved to 2, lowlight to 3, and b&w to 4.

If I highlight MySet1 and press OK it loads the settings I had previously saved to it.

If the word Set is beside Myset1, that means I had previously saved setting to that MySet.

If the words No Data is beside Myset1, that means that MySet is blank.

If you push right arrow when a MySet is highlighted, you can either Set (save the camera's current settings to that MySet), or Reset (erase the settings saved to that MySet).

The way I use the MySets is I think what type of shooting situation I'm getting into, choose that one so I know the camera is at specific defaults and change settings from there.

Say I changed a million different settings the last time I used the camera and can't remember what I changed, using a MySet gets me to a known starting point.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:42 AM   #5

I gotcha Mike. Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:51 PM   #6

Check out this tutorial:
http://www.mu-43.com/f42/guide-olymp...unction-15793/