Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:26 PM   #1

Default ....the E-P3 & FT 35mm are fast becoming

another favorite and the lens is proving itself to be good at more than the MACRO designation, just like those who use it say.

These are from the past couple days.... the 70-300 is always handy for a quick change but for now the 35mm is pretty well latched to the P3; shooting always in manual exposure mode.

.......and a quick change got this bull with the 70-300 @ 300mm

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:40 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:10 AM   #2

Hi Bob,
Yup, It is a honey of a lens. Mine has been glued onto the E-P2 for weeks now.

Congrats and nice set of images.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:39 AM   #3

Thanks Zig,

Saw the storms reports and hope all is well with you.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4

nice shots bob! The frog is very good and the landscapes are sharp as well. I assume the cricket was macro mode?

I am torn between putting the FT 35 or 25 on my "next" list at this point. I like the macro feature of the 35 but really I am not finding that focal length lacking as I have the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and it is very nice but it is not wide enough to find it's way into the bag, and I find the 50mm focal length is able to do pretty much the same things, and I have a small range finder 50/2.0 Jupiter m39 that fits nicely in my bag... until I get the Olympus MFT 45 that is...

wondering how you would compare the FT 35 against the MFT 45 for landscapes?

Last edited by ramcewan; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:14 PM   #5

Well I got a chance to shoot a few daisies with my FT 35mm macro but I certainly do not have the skills of Greg, Bob, or Zig for sure. PSE 10 is frustrating to me, very difficult learning curve. I guess I need to lock the door in my office and start viewing tutorials and reading my book more. Main problem on these is that I thought I was shooting in RAW but was not so I couldn't do what I wanted to. I know you can edit JPEG photos in the RAW mode but I haven't got a clue as how to do it. I liked my Canon DPP software but it won't open Oly RAW files. Argghhhh!

P6020320 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P6020319 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P6020317_edited-1 by James Gasta, on Flickr

P6020321_edited-1 by James Gasta, on Flickr

Last edited by James Emory; Jun 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:57 PM   #6

[QUOTE=James Emory;1304761]Well I got a chance to shoot a few daisies with my FT 35mm macro but I certainly do not have the skills of Greg, Bob, or Zig for sure. PSE 10 is frustrating to me, very difficult learning curve. I guess I need to lock the door in my office and start viewing tutorials and reading my book more. Main problem on these is that I thought I was shooting in RAW but was not so I couldn't do what I wanted to. I know you can edit JPEG photos in the RAW mode but I haven't got a clue as how to do it. I liked my Canon DPP software but it won't open Oly RAW files. Argghhhh!

James,
To edit jpegs in Adobe's Camera Raw within PSE10 do the following:

1. Open PSE10 in Edit NOT organizer mode
2. Go to File>OPEN AS> choose the file you want
3. At the bottom of the screen, you should see a small window that gives you choices as to what file extension you want to open the file in.
4: choose RAW> open
5 the photo file will automatically open in Adobe Camera Raw

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:07 PM   #7

Jameas,
For what it's worth, when I shoot flowers I've got my E-P2 settings as follows:

1: mode; manual
2: ISO 100
3: Aperture: F8 to f10
4: with the above settings, my shutter speed is extremely slow > 1/30 sec or slower. I adjust my shutter speed on almost every shot due to the interplay of sunlight and shadows.

5: tripod is a must
6: I don't generally use the VF2 but rather the lcd screen
7: focus ; AF-S
* last but not least, I'm sure you've read or heard about "exposing to the right"
Well, I expose all my flower shots to the left- or UNDER EXPOSE by .03 value.
I find that it is much easier to bring up the exposure, if need be, in PSE10 as opposed to trying to deal with blown highlights.
Hope this helps

Zig

Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:47 PM   #8

Thanks Zig. The E-PL2 will only go down to ISO 200 and I did not use a tripod, hand held. I believe I shot these at f8 and I did have the EV at
-03. Oh, mode was set to aperture, and I did have the focus set to AF-S. I don't find the VF2 to be that crystal clear like everyone raves about. It was pretty bright out so the LCD was washed out and had to use the VF2. I set the diopter the best I can for my eyes and the view through the VF2 appears slightly washed out but I'm thinking it's my cataract in my right eye causing that. Funny (not so funny) that my eye doctor told me the cataract isn't bad enough for the insurance to pay for the surgery. I guess I have to be blind in the right eye before they will cover it. Of course it would have to be my right eye, the eye I use for looking through the viewfinder and trying to look with my left eye just doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Jameas,
For what it's worth, when I shoot flowers I've got my E-P2 settings as follows:

1: mode; manual
2: ISO 100
3: Aperture: F8 to f10
4: with the above settings, my shutter speed is extremely slow > 1/30 sec or slower. I adjust my shutter speed on almost every shot due to the interplay of sunlight and shadows.

5: tripod is a must
6: I don't generally use the VF2 but rather the lcd screen
7: focus ; AF-S
* last but not least, I'm sure you've read or heard about "exposing to the right"
Well, I expose all my flower shots to the left- or UNDER EXPOSE by .03 value.
I find that it is much easier to bring up the exposure, if need be, in PSE10 as opposed to trying to deal with blown highlights.
Hope this helps

Zig
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:51 PM   #9

Quote:
nice shots bob! The frog is very good and the landscapes are sharp as well. I assume the cricket was macro mode?
RA, thanks for the nice comment. The bullfrog was off the 70-300. The grasshopper was shot from approx 5-6 inches and of course the 35mm is a MACRO lens which subs out to be a pretty nice landscape lens as well.

Quote:
wondering how you would compare the FT 35 against the MFT 45 for landscapes?
I think there is really no comparison which would be fair, the m43 45 is such a sharp lens that the results quality put it ahead of the FT 35 while the field of view is not that much different between the two. Whle the 35mm is small and balances nicely with the PEN it does of course need the MMF-2/3 where the m45 is a lot smaller and being native to the PEN does quite a lot of things quicker and better than the FT 35. The m43 45 does cost many dollars more than the FT 35.

Greg has the m43 45 and some of the landscapes he has developed with it are amazingly good.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:48 AM   #10

James, I think you did well the first usage. Please keep shooting and sharing.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com