Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Beautiful camera work as usual and a very nice history lesson to boot. Thanks for sharing. Did you use a monopod for some of the shots?
I have both a tripod and monopod, but took neither. I saw several people with tripod in tow. They add quite a bit of bulk over a day of hiking the city, in many places there are not allowed, and moving through the Metro system with one would have been a bear. The Paris Metro is a hike on its' own as you work your way making all the various connections and trains on the heavier-travelled lines are often packed at any point during the day. I bet I climbed up and down 1,000 steps during the time we were in the city.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:16 PM   #12

Really excellent images and narrative Greg. Better than a travel documentary on the the Travel Channel. Well done!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:21 PM   #13

Very nice shots !!! Going overt the pond is always interesting and there is lot of things to shoot !

Congrats!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:12 AM   #14

I want to see more, please! Greg's shots of Paris are pretty amazing...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:14 AM   #15

I'm loading all my trip images to my web page in a dedicated folder. It is not yet complete and I do not have everything captioned yet, but here is the folder..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel...3447320_hbHF63
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:39 AM   #16

Greg, did you batch process most of these? Just curious.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:35 AM   #17

Nope, one by one through Adobe Camera RAW. I have some profiles set up where I apply some basic parameters I use on any image based on the ISO used, but there was still plenty of tweeking on a one by one basis, especially when it comes to dealing with highlight and shadow control.

Hard to say where the final number of images is going to fall. If I were to guess, I will probably wind up posting between 300-400 files by the time I've gone through all of them. I will wind up deleting many more than I post. I'll often take 3-4 shots playing with compositions and just use one I like best, some files just don't work and some I often ask myself what the heck I was thinking when I pressed the shutter release.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18

At least it was time you were wasting, not film. I remember the film days when I'd buy a couple rolls of 36 exp Kodachrome and end up with about 15 good pics out of 72 and pay for the slide mounting on crappy pics.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...Hard to say where the final number of images is going to fall. If I were to guess, I will probably wind up posting between 300-400 files by the time I've gone through all of them. I will wind up deleting many more than I post. I'll often take 3-4 shots playing with compositions and just use one I like best, some files just don't work and some I often ask myself what the heck I was thinking when I pressed the shutter release.
true story:

I was at a scenic overlook in AZ's Oak Creek Canyon when my wife commented, "alright don't you have enough shots of those birds already?", a couple was passing the other direction and the wife jokingly said, "take as many as you need, it's not like it's film", to which I responded, "that's the advantage of digital", to which the wife responded, "yeah, tell that to my husband, he works for Kodak", the husband grunted and I responded as they wandered further away, "well at least you have all those patents!", to which they laughed...

On the one hand I think there is some sadness in the switch over to digital as there is a tendency to shoot first and think later, whereas with film you tended (at least in my short experience with film in the 90-early 2000's) to think first and shoot second. However, the advantages of being able to shoot away all day literally taking hundreds if not thousands of shots over a day on vacation and being able to review them that night and comb through and process them over the next few days/weeks far outweigh the loss of thoughtfulness...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM   #20

I don't think the digital process has taken much thoughtfulness away from the process of the actual shooting the images. You still have to work out the compositions to get what you want.

The only thinking I think is lost from the film days is, the consideration of how many rolls I have left and what I should or should not shoot, or just shoot once because I know I'll run out of rolls of film if I keep shooting, and if you're shooting color negative film you have to have the prints made to see it, so the added cost of all those extra shots is/was always in the back of my mind, especially if I was using a local high-end lab for better quality printing, which I often did.

Of the three SD cards I took (one 16GB and three 8 GB), all 1,025 raw image files were recorded on the one 16GB card, with lots of room to spare.