Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds-103/)
-   -   Scalping on the new Oly M5 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-micro-four-thirds/199581-scalping-new-oly-m5.html)

James Emory Jun 11, 2012 4:20 PM

Scalping on the new Oly M5

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...+OM+5&_sacat=0

Greg Chappell Jun 11, 2012 5:21 PM

Yep, they're hard to find right now and some will definitely take advantage. It'd be interesting to know how many will bite at that price.

I'm using the lack of E-M5 stock to "justify".....if you can call it that, reasoning (with just myself to have to convince) to pick up a micro super-wide, the 9-18.

9-18, 45/1.8, 75-300 and the 12mm f2 if wide speed is needed. Sounds like a nice setup to me. Keep the fast primes but add the two zooms to widen the reach from 9-300mm. With this, I'm now officially 100% Micro across the available focal length range.

James Emory Jun 11, 2012 5:35 PM

Your idea makes more sense to me. For what you already have, and if I had that gear, I couldn't justify buying an E-M5. In fact, I cannot even justify replacing my E-PL2 with an E-M5 unless my ship comes in and that's not going to happen any time soon. With my photography skills I wouldn't see the improvement, at least I don't think I would.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chappell (Post 1306209)
Yep, they're hard to find right now and some will definitely take advantage. It'd be interesting to know how many will bite at that price.

I'm using the lack of E-M5 stock to "justify".....if you can call it that, reasoning (with just myself to have to convince) to pick up a micro super-wide, the 9-18.

9-18, 45/1.8, 75-300 and the 12mm f2 if wide speed is needed. Sounds like a nice setup to me. Keep the fast primes but add the two zooms to widen the reach from 9-300mm. With this, I'm now officially 100% Micro across the available focal length range.

Mikefellh Jun 11, 2012 5:36 PM

Ya, there was some idiot on DPR who sold one for $200 profit, and then decided he wants to buy another one...but he doesn't say whether he was going to sell that one too, he was just whining that he couldn't find another one to buy. Kharma gotcha!

Actually I had someone asking to buy my black one (in a message where I said I also had the silver). Now I wouldn't gouge someone, but since it's brand new and hardly any shots on it, I'd probably sell it for list (they wouldn't have to pay back the $130 in taxes I had to pay on it). That is IF I had plans to sell it, which I don't!

Although the silver one I bought came with a Kingston 8gb card, it was only $19 less than a new camera w/12-50 plus taxes. To me the card is worthless as I don't trust Kingston.

ramcewan Jun 11, 2012 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikefellh (Post 1306214)
...they wouldn't have to pay back the $130 in taxes I had to pay on it...

ouch!

makes me happy to live where I live...

I really like the OM-D EM-5 but I can certainly wait... it is still overpriced if you ask me comparing it to the g3 which may very well have the same sensor... I think I will hold off until my e-pl2 dies and by then I can get a e-pl4 or whatever it is at that point which will have the OM-D sensor in it... but

I am starting to question though if it won't be long before we see a PDAF/CDAF hybrid system :speechless-smiley3: on a mirror-less that will make many have buyers regret. I read a recent article about the new Canon T4i which has such a PDAF/CDAF system on the sensor to allow live view autofocus with the mirror up, as the article points out this could easily be switched to a mirror-less setup. IDK about the rest of you but better AF for moving shots is on my dream wish list.. article;

http://gizmodo.com/5917037/is-the-ca...in-plain-sight

Mikefellh Jun 11, 2012 6:17 PM

But is the G3 dust/splash proof, and a magnesium alloy body?

I admit though I which the Oly had the G3 swivel monitor (that was also on the E-3/5). I love the fact I can swivel the E-3 monitor around so it's protected, and I can just toss it in the bag without being careful.

Mikefellh Jun 12, 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramcewan (Post 1306217)
I am starting to question though if it won't be long before we see a PDAF/CDAF hybrid system :speechless-smiley3: on a mirror-less that will make many have buyers regret.

Don't know why everyone is making such a fuss about the Canon T4i, when the Nikon J1 and V1 are already mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with the hybrid PDAF sensor.

ramcewan Jun 12, 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikefellh (Post 1306218)
But is the G3 dust/splash proof, and a magnesium alloy body?

I admit though I which the Oly had the G3 swivel monitor (that was also on the E-3/5). I love the fact I can swivel the E-3 monitor around so it's protected, and I can just toss it in the bag without being careful.

no the G3 is certainly not as nice in terms of body materials, construction and quality. Also the difference in touch screen technology between Oly and Panasonic is a huge deal for me at least. I am certain that while people will wax nostalgic about their OM-D's for years to come very few will about the G3...

I definitely want all those things but the cost of all those things is fairly significant. And when you consider the body is probably the least long term component you buy in an interchangeable lens system one is tempted to go with the lower cost option if they don't specifically need the weather proofing and ruggedness of the OM-D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikefellh (Post 1306322)
Don't know why everyone is making such a fuss about the Canon T4i, when the Nikon J1 and V1 are already mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras with the hybrid PDAF sensor.

because the Nikon 1 series has a comparatively small sensor (CX) with comparatively high noise, otherwise it would be a really really compelling option, what with compatibility with legacy Nikon glass and all...

bringing a hybrid AF system to an ASP-C or m43 sensor and you would have a big advantage imho over the CDAF options from Panasonic and Olympus...

Also Canon is the 800lb gorilla when it comes to mirror-less..

those are the two reasons why people make a big deal about it.

Greg Chappell Jun 12, 2012 12:14 PM

When we went down into the Catacombes in Paris, there was a guy there with his Nikon 1, one of the slow kit lenses and he had his accessory flash unit already attached when the guide told us all "no flash", which pretty much did him in completely....

1/3 of a second at f2 and ISO 800, while crouched on the wet floor with water dripping on my head..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Travel...5318960-XL.jpg

Mikefellh Jun 12, 2012 12:31 PM

I don't care about other brands so I didn't even know Nikon already had a hybrid until I looked up how the hybrid works, I didn't even know the Nikon used a smaller sensor. I'm forced to use a T1i at work, and I don't really care for it and certainly don't hang around in Canon forums.