Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
You won't have that feeling when you look at my posts.
James, don't sell yourself short. From what I've seen of your posts, you're doing just fine. There is always a learning curve associated with any new camera and, the Pen series are no different in that respect.

Bob, Greg, and others who have migrated from the Oly four thirds dslrs have an advantage as the basics are the same.

I'll say this about the latest Pen cameras, they are so feature rich that they are an amazing photographic tool when used for the type of photography they were designed. Add to that, the lens offerings and you have a system that you can grow with for years to come.

The only downside to the cameras are that the software designers have not really done as good a job(IMHO) designing a user interface that is intuitive and easy to learn. I've used Oly equipment for 8yrs and still find their menus daunting.This does't make the learning curve any easier.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the words of encouragement Zig, much appreciated. I guess I went off the deep end and I believe the cause is because I have a few new gadgets and I'm trying to learn them at the same time. Son in law bought me an Acer Pad for Christmas, the Oly camera menu, the PSE 10 software, and now for Father's Day, a Logitech Harmony 900 remote. Is one of these smart remotes you plug into your computer and enter your components, etc, and then you have to teach the RF blasters, etc, etc. I'm about halfway through with that and I think I did see an ISO setting on it.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Greg,

I keep looking at your images taken with the 12mm lens. The perspective
that the 12mm offers is nothing short of astounding.

I hate posts like this as it makes me want to go out and buy one.

Zig
It's a cool lens that I've really enjoyed using it, and it was on my E-P3 for a majority of the time in Paris. There were times I wished I had a Micro 9-18 (which I now have) for some of the outdoor shots for the wider viewpoint, but indoors it never would have worked because I needed every bit of the f2 speed.

Both the 12mm f2 and the 9-18 will be in the bag I take up there in August.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It's a cool lens that I've really enjoyed using it, and it was on my E-P3 for a majority of the time in Paris. There were times I wished I had a Micro 9-18 (which I now have) for some of the outdoor shots for the wider viewpoint, but indoors it never would have worked because I needed every bit of the f2 speed.

Both the 12mm f2 and the 9-18 will be in the bag I take up there in August.
In a weak moment, I sold the 9-18mm m43 lens that I had. It was not the wisest decision I've ever made. As with many of the other Oly lenses, it is
tack sharp and a joy to use.

Looking forward to August.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I just love it when you two (Greg & Zig) get together talking about ACR Adobe, it is going to cost me money one day!

Though I am happy with the software I use it is statements like this (......that, up to now, I've not been able to correct to my satisfaction) that keep edging me closer to trying ACR/CS.

I've so many (hopeless files) it would be a miracle if any software were to help and I keep thinking I want to try to find out, when what I really need to do is follow the examples of you both and make better files in the beginning.

What will be fun is to see what the two of you come up with for images later this year, I'll bet shadows won't be a problem from the Cape in August!
Hi Bob,

I keep meaning to let you know that you can try Adobe's Lightroom 4 on a 30day trial at no charge. Lightroom 4 utilizes Adobe's Camera RAW as the post processing/developing tool. It has all the features and functionality as found in CS6.

The major benefit to Lightroom4 is in it's organizational capabilities. Add the Adobe CameraRAW tool and it's a great alternative to Photoshop at a fraction of the cost. I think it's $149.00 as opposed to CS6 @$699(for new users).

Zig

Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:15 AM   #16

Wonder if Lightroom 4 is easier to use than PSE 10. Maybe I should try the free download when I have time to play with it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Wonder if Lightroom 4 is easier to use than PSE 10. Maybe I should try the free download when I have time to play with it.
Hi James,

Lightroom 4 is first and foremost an image organizational package. It allows you to organize and store your images for future retrieval much easier. But, the post processing is primarily done using Camera RAW, to me a much more powerful editing tool than what you have in PSE10.

Not only is it easier to use, than PSE10 but is more powerful. There is no downside in upgrading to Lightroom 4.

Zig

Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:32 AM   #18

Thanks Zig, will give it a try.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #19

Zig, does LR4 have all that layer stuff, etc. I have all that on PE10 and I doubt if I would ever use it other than making a sky bluer or removing an unwanted object from a pic. That layer stuff is really mesermizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi James,

Lightroom 4 is first and foremost an image organizational package. It allows you to organize and store your images for future retrieval much easier. But, the post processing is primarily done using Camera RAW, to me a much more powerful editing tool than what you have in PSE10.

Not only is it easier to use, than PSE10 but is more powerful. There is no downside in upgrading to Lightroom 4.

Zig
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #20

One one complaint I had about Lightroom compared to Photoshop is, you have to import any photo "into" Lightroom before it will recognize the file and let you process it. You can't just go to any folder on your computer and open a file up in Lightroom. With Photoshop, you simply download images to your computer anywhere you want, open Photoshop and open the file from the folder where you loaded it. Simply. Easy.

If you don't have a good system for cataloging your photos on your computer I see the benefits of the Lightroom process, but since loading the CS6 upgrade I've not opened Lightroom 4.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote